What's your favorite hunting knife?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bark River knives are very high quality.  I had the Fox River model which I sold (another hair brain idea of mine) to fund another project.  Good knives!

Here's my primary skinner...
20160114_172952%20-%20Copy_zpsh1knftfi.jpg

20160114_172548%20-%20Copy_zpsfwvxpmbh.jpg

nothing fancy...a U.S.A. made, 4- 7/8" WESTERN 39...early 70's.  Holds an edge real nice.  I bought it new back then and have used it ever since.

GREAT blades and pics guys!  Hard for me to walk by any knife display in a store. I always had an interest in fine hunting knives.

I do plan to buy a Green River knife to stay in my mountain man era. I'll get one for skinning, and a bigger one for the kitchen for butchering.

I make custom knives and use them anymore but I don't go anywhere without a vintage Case XX folder of some sort. By far and away my favorite produciton knife. There are a lot of good produciton knives on the market and the Natives made a sharp rock work for thousands of years.

I love these knife threads.

Here is some of what I produce.

IMG_2016_zpsbwyrn5dx.jpg

IMG_2025_zpsnh2kdoe5.jpg

IMG_2007_zpsveudrea2.jpg

IMG_2013_zpsukbm8hn9.jpg

ivory10_zpsmxyvz0ur.jpg

maple23_zpssvfqfk91.jpg

IMG_1979_zpslhnpnjqs.jpg

Cool thread.

I always love seeing cutlery.

Todd

Holy cow!!!!!!  Those knives are absolutely beautiful.  You are really talented.  Thanks for sharing!!

Those are FINE knives! I would be proud to own any of them!
Ron

Thank you fellas! Very humbling.

I haven't made a grubby mountain man version yet for the simple reason, I honestly feel the best "throw back" knives are produced by real mountain men who want a great knife. I can't really offer much in that area that you couldn't teach yourself how to do with the help of youtube, and with some patience you could make a really great knife with some hand tools and a torch with a rose bud (to heat the metal.)

That being said, I do use a rasp once in a while and if you have a quality rasp, they make great blades similar to 1095 and could produce a very vintage "grubby", awesome look.

ht8_zpsvoqogrur.jpg

ht4_zpsqpywjay8.jpg

Here are a couple full tang rasp knives. One is convexed and polished for a differnt look.

rasp1_zps5s7rhbpt.jpg

rasp2_zps0zxnukhl.jpg

knife13_zps137ec80a.jpg

knife14_zps276c6a2c.jpg

sheath5_zps70d996ac.jpg

Anyhow,

If any of you would like to try and tackel a knife project, I am an open book and will help any way I can.

Thanks again,

Todd

I like the last one pictured.

No way for me to make one. I live in an apartment.

What's the wood in the 1st picture of your first post? That knife is gorgeous.

Do you have a website or order blank or have you discontinued sales?

Wow. Just wow. 

Do you still sell?

And, make a really grubby one for Muley. Rub some mud into it or something.  :twisted:

Thank you again, fellows.

First off, I need to apologize to the admin and the O.P. as I didn't mean to use this awesome forum and high jack this awesome thread as a selling tool for my knives and I'm not quite sure of the rules as I don't contribute financially here at all. I will have to change that and see about becoming a contributing member somehow...

The very first knife has Spalted Pecan scales on it and it has quickly become one of my favorites.

I do have a facebook page and I really hope I'm not breaking the rules but it is Thayn Custom Knives.

I do sell a few and take a few orders but I am so backed up right now, ethically I have to catch up before I can take any more. I have a carreer, a 5 year old and 2 year old and not much spare time so I get to it when life allows.

Thank you all again, so much. It does mean the world and I feel honored when people think so much of my work. I can be reached via P.M. here or messaged on F.B. if you would like to talk further about knives or how to build your own I will help any way I can.

Thanks again,

Todd

Latest posts

Back