Which scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greg I'm not sure where your info is coming from. I can see no reason why a SML would be any different than a big bore CF rifle.
Apparently, you have not experienced the world of smokeless muzzleloaders. It is a totally different creature than a center fire rifle. Smokeless muzzleloaders eat scopes. That includes many Vortex. The same ones that worked perfectly fine on centerfire, bolt action rifles.

Greg

Apparently, you have not experienced the world of smokeless muzzleloaders. It is a totally different creature than a center fire rifle. Smokeless muzzleloaders eat scopes. That includes many Vortex. The same ones that worked perfectly fine on centerfire, bolt action rifles.

Greg
Yes I have. And my Konus 1.5-6x held up nicely. Upgrading ro the Vortex Diamondback. I'll test the warranty!

6X power scopes have been sort of a standard on 30-06 rifles though 4x is fine also. With these scopes and a duplex reticle like found on Leupolds these scopes offer plenty magnification for reasonable hunting distances and the ability to dial in the range using the reticle to bracket your deer or elk whatever. The scope and reticle will subtend a certain amount of your game at a specific distance. It’s a very reliable measure of your distance and if you know your load and target it’s all you need except for wind and steep slopes.

Rick

The recoil on a muzzleloader is much different than a CF.

Here's an example of the recoil energy of a 300gr bullet at 2,100fps.
Notice the recoil energy of the 50BMG.

View attachment 40216

Here's the recoil for your 30-06. The charge is very accurate, as its a charge I loaded hundreds of times. The only thing different could be rifle weight.

Its all math......

View attachment 40217
Is that .50 cal calculation of a 50 bmg? That would make sense. Also the recoil energy of the 30-06 seems about right from what I feel when I shoot my Tikka.
But I believe, and this is only my opinion, is that a SML does not have the same felt recoil as a CF even burning the same powder/charge. IMO this is because using the same bullet the diameter or the muzzleloader bullet is smaller. (i.e.; .451' vs .458") This accounts for less pressure being needed to push the bullet down the bore. The energy is still there from the powder but it is likely being exited out the barrel after the bullet leaves. Then a muzzle brake will also redirect some of this energy making the felt recoil even less.
I don't deny that all things being equal the felt recoil of the .50 - 300 gr over the .30 - 180 gr would be a lot more. That's simple physics. But when you add bullet diameter, muzzle brake, even a different recoil pad the felt recoil would be different. All these account for reducing the felt recoil - not the difference in energy. The energy from the powder charge is still there but is absorbed or redirected.

Adding to this, from what I've read, because of the nature of the recoil from a modern air rifle (not your typical Daisy) they also destroy scopes. That is the reason you should buy an air rifle specific scope. I always thought that they were made cheaper but they are designed differently. Below is the search I did in bold and the link I read.

difference between air rifle scopes and centerfire scopes

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=differenc...opes+and+centerfire+scopes&atb=v419-1&ia=web#

1. www.lasc.us › rangingshotrifleairgunscopes.htm

Rifle scopes - Air gun scopes, there is a difference. IHMSA News ...

If the air gun scope is equipped with an adjustable objective lens, in almost every case it definitely will allow the shooter to adjust focus and parallax from 10 meters out to infinity. Additionally, the robust construction features of these scopes allow them to be used on most firearms as well.

That chart is pretty hare to fathom! It may be the felt recoil because of the muzzle brake but I know for a fact that my SML shooting a 300 gr bullet with 55 gr of IMR4198 doesn't recoil near as much as my 30-06 Tikka T3 lite with 180 gr bullet.
If Imay add my 2 cents. I have a vortex viper HS-T 6x16x50 on a Rem. 700 7mm Rem. Mag. and that rifle for some reason kicks like a mule & have had no problems. And same scope on my Browning Silver Stalker in .300 WSM that has a real good jolt to it also with no problems. I prefer second focal plane also because reticle size stays the same through all focal sizes. and both rifles recoil feel a lot more than my muzzleloader with max charge. By the way I have same scope that you just purchased on my muzzleloader works great for me!

Latest posts

Back