White 209 breech plug mod?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gle3105

If ur gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough!
Supporting member
Reaction score
I have read previous posts on MML about the gas leak of this conversion. And many have said just use a 11 or musket cap. Which I’m okay with.
I don’t care for sooty scopes ☹️.

#1 - I‘m aware of course this is a plunger action and the relation of the bolt spring / pressure.
#2 - I love to tinker.

Having a White 209 conversion and observing it I see the flash hole & flame channel is reversed based on other known bp’s. Also measured .015 ( Fed 209a) gap from primer to flash hole.

- I was thinking of opening up the flame channel and inserting a ventliner in the White. Or if enough room install a carbide busing.
- Install “O” ring in bp maybe.
- Convert a bp to use a Knight red FPJ ?
- While understanding the concept, the idea of adding a higher lb bolt spring is not the answer IMO.

Viable or a losing proposition?

my question is why, Whites are 100 percent reliable with #11 caps.. a 209 isnt going to give you any more benefits since hotter ignition isnt needed.. But if you feel the need it would probably work.

I suppose the key words or emphasis from my post would be “gas leak” .
Mainly shoot BH209. Aware of using a duplex / primer if needed.
Odyssey model.
Having the machinery to modify or make a plug I thought it would be a worthwhile adventure.
I don’t have an eleven bp. Do have a musket cap one.
I’m aware of Jeff’s bp w Treso for White’s.
Not planning on getting one either.

Next owner of this piece can.

Last edited:
I wouldn't shoot bh209 in a plunger gun .

Did you try wrapping the breach plug with Teflon tape, quick easy test to see if it cures your issue .

I have no problem with BP seizure. Teflon tape acts as an anti seize much in the way as breech plug grease but without the mess.
Doesn’t help in the primer has gas leak area.
Primer gas blow back is all about the primer fit.
But in addition to a plunger gun it has the additional issue of the bolt spring pressure on the primer. Being not enough strength to maintain the primer in it’s place upon firing. Thus gas leak.

How have you determined it's from the primer ? I'm well aware it helps the plug come out .It also seals the plug very nicely from gas leak. Your issue may be the powder your using itself . I have no issues using bh209 in my tbolt
But I go on record saying bh209 not recommended in a plunger style muzzleloader

Last edited:
I have docs factory conversion on my 410. I also have the number 11 set up. Basically just a test triple seven with caps versus triple seven with muzzleloader primers..
I want to chronograph and see if there’s any difference. Curious as to whether or not I can make it a little flatter trajectory.

Before we lost, Doc , he and I had a very long conversation about these guns, ignition systems, and Powder types. The man definitely knew his stuff.

Besides, if nothing else, it’s always fun to play

Greg

Back