Modified Patriot Breech Plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I miss understood. Your talking about a muzzleloader shotgun. I was thinking breech loaded/ break action shotgun. Thanks đź‘Ť

Ron do you find the 1 in 24 to be better than 1 in 20. Sure seems to shoot well . Curious if it would shoot those ceb maximus 240 with more powder without blowing the sabots like the 1 in 20

The ultra-lite is a 20 twist. It shoots good. The 24 twist Patriot shoots good. Never have shot sabot in either. Am too ignorant to satisfactorily answer.

Thanks,was just curious of your thoughts sir. i am ignorant of sabotless

I've messed around with some other design's over the last few years. I made 3 different length plugs with 5/32 holes and carbide bushing with .035" holes. The longest is what we use for smokeless. The shortest is basically the same as Ron's, only a touch longer. I never really advertised these because I had more work to do on them. The long plug is used by quite a few shooters with smokeless. The other pic is close to the new design that I plan to go to when I move to a 2nd generation breech. This one is rear sealing, has a carbide bushing and the primer pocket itself is a separate piece that screws in. Simply add or remove a shim under it and it remains in the plug. I will also make a one piece, simple plug like this that will be in the gun by default. It will be large enough to accept all primer lengths and diameters. And yes it will leak. I find that most people buying these don't care, but if I raise the price to include a carbide bushing, two piece plug, they notice. It's all about options that are standard.
I spent a lot of time designing the next rifle we are going to produce, which is a bolt action, from the ground up. All I will say is it can take any brand of 209 primer, no tools, machining or mods and crush them. I like the convenience of 209 primers and so do the majority, but it will also accept LRP's in a brass 209 compatible shell we make that costs around 25 cents.
Ron, there are some set screws in the trigger. They have loctite on them but I'm sure you know the rest. Very nice shooting too!

Attachments

• 20200819_093706.jpg
    20200819_093706.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200820_045842.jpg
    20200820_045842.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 14
……. there are some set screws in the trigger. They have loctite on them but I'm sure you know the rest.........
Hi Mark,

The trigger is something never examined. Been focusing on the breech plug.

Am not satisfied with the breech plug modifications I did in this thread.

Would really like to eliminate the o-ring. The mentioned breech plug sent 0.020" longer should allow for that.

Another thing i don't really care for is the 3/8" long bushing. What should work better is a vent liner located very near the powder end separated from the primer by a 5/32" flame channel. Naturally the vent liner will wear out, whereas the bushing won't. This is offset by eliminating the lock nut, and shortening the flash hole, which moves the flash hole further away from the primer. Hopefully this will eliminate primer blow through. There is nothing to attach a vent liner to in the plugs i have, so your help is required here.

Mark, thank you for all your ideas, and innovations. How the patriot works is quite slick.

Next for me, the trigger.

I spent a lot of time designing the next rifle we are going to produce, which is a bolt action, from the ground up. All I will say is it can take any brand of 209 primer, no tools, machining or mods and crush them. I like the convenience of 209 primers and so do the majority, but it will also accept LRP's in a brass 209 compatible shell we make that costs around 25 cents.

is this still in the works ?

Latest posts

Back