Will TC Encore Stuff Work on my Contender ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have an early-model Contender and several barrels. This will sound dumb...what barrels, buttstocks, etc. will work with my old Contender? Lots of items available, don't honestly know what to buy.

Are there different variants of Contenders. or will all Contenders' barrels, stocks, etc. work with my older one? I know, of course, that various barrels require different fore ends, but outside of that is there anything else to watch out for ? Thanks for the info, by the way.

I can’t say definitively, but I’m fairly certain that all contender stuff is interchangeable. I haven’t owned a contender in 20+/- years, so I could be wrong.

I can’t say definitively, but I’m fairly certain that all contender stuff is interchangeable. I haven’t owned a contender in 20+/- years, so I could be wrong.
Sorta the same boat here as I've not fooled with this in 17 years, inherited it from my father. It's been in one of my safes since that time.

Encore and Contender are not interchangeable and as stated by Okie Hog, G1 and G2 Contender stuff will run into problems as my Fatherinlaw found out with a barrel stuck and had quite a time getting it off. Some usefull info can be had from this outfit: eabco.com

All Contender barrels work with all Contenders.
Forearms, too.
Grips for Gen I will not work on Gen II and visa versa.
Different grip angle.
Carbine stocks are in the same boat.
The basic difference is the Gen II can be de-cocked and then cocked again without breaking the action open like you do on the Gen I.

When I was looking for a lightweigt aoudad rifle, I got a Contender carbine in 7-30 Waters. Using Barnes TTSX 120 gr. at about 2400 fps, I had four 1-shot kills out to 230 yards. The rifle is a joy to carry at under 6 lbs. (with scope and sling). I still use it in 7mm TCU for javelina with 115 gr. Speer hollowpoints. Even with my Contender Pistol with 10" barrel, it would drop javelina in their tracks. The G1 Contenders are supposed to have better triggers, but if you pull the trigger without cocking the gun first, you have to break open the gun in order to reset the trigger. Kind of a bummer when hunting (ask me how I know). The G2 doesn't have that issue. Lots of old Contender barrels on the market, but the price keeps going up. Mike Bellm has lots of aftermarket ideas for both Contenders and Encore.

Back