Williams FP sight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldfox

Reaction score
I have an older T/C Hawken .54 cal (thanks George :) ) that I would like to put a peep sight on. It appears that the T/C peep is no longer available and hard to come by... I see that Williams makes a tang mounted Foolproof for the Hawken. My question is will this fit without removing some wood on the left side of the stock? It seems that I read somewhere a small amount of wood needs to be removed. Lyman also makes one, but looks a bit bulky on the rifle.. Any help appreciated...

I have never dealt with the Williams sight.
I do have a Lyman 57 sml tang peep on my TC .54 Hawken, all that was needed was to have a hole drilled and tapped for one screw/bolt and removing the other bolt from the tang and screwing the sight on to the tang. On mine it cleared all of the wood and lined up fine.

shguns said:
I have never dealt with the Williams sight.
I do have a Lyman 57 sml tang peep on my TC .54 Hawken, all that was needed was to have a hole drilled and tapped for one screw/bolt and removing the other bolt from the tang and screwing the sight on to the tang. On mine it cleared all of the wood and lined up fine.

Thanks shguns... What did you use for a front sight?

I put a Lyman 17 Globe sight on the .54 barrel. The one they say is .494 inches high. I like it.
I also have a Green Mountain barrel with a fast 1 in 28 twist. It still has a fiber optic front sight on it.
I can swap the barrels out and use either front sight with the Lyman 57 tang sight and it works pretty good for me so far.

Here is a tutorial I did a few years back.

Now to install the sights. First remove the old sights.

Putting a Lyman 57 SML peep on a TC has two options. One is some of them were already drilled and tapped for the sight, I have seen several. Option #2 is drilling the tang your self. I have done four now and if I can do it anyone can.
What I wanted to do was give you the idiots view of how to install the Lyman 57 SML sight. I took one of the plastic cases I got with one of my Lyman sights and made it a sight installation kit.
It has a # 29 S drill bit, S stands for short in the Brownells catalog.
Also the kit has an 8-32 tap.
And it has a small Tap Wrench.
On The TC’s, and the Cabelas Hawken the sight base is too thick where it meets up with the wood next to the tang. I have seen this problem solved two ways. I have seen guys remove the wood and the way I do it. I remove some of the aluminum from the base so it will sit down all the way without touching the wood. I take the slider out of the base and gently sit the base in a vise and tighten it down. I use an Angle grinder to remove the metal. You can also use rat-tail files and bastard files. After I am done taking the metal away it looks like this.
CuttingBase1.jpg

CuttingBase2.jpg

CuttingBase3.jpg

Now to put the base on.
I start out by removing the rear screw and I set the sight base on the tang and then I put the screw back in but not tight. I line the sight up, and use a small punch to go through the front screw hole in the sight base to make a dent in the tang to start the hole to be drilled.
You can also put masking tape on the tang and draw a line through the holes. This will give you your strait line to make sure that the hole is drilled in a strait line with the other two holes in the tang. Then put the base on like I said above and mark the spot to be drilled.
Then I take the tang off the stock and lock the tang into a vise. Make sure you are drilling straight down. Then I use the tap to make the threads. Make sure you have the tap lined up like you just did the drill bit. Start the tap in, go a little ways and back it up. Then go forward again and back it up. Do this several times until the threads are cut. You MUST back up once and a while or you will break the tap. Also make sure you apply lube to help the tap cut.

Threading.jpg

After I thread the screw hole in the tang I install the tang on the stock. I put the rear screw into the sight base, but not tight. Then I use a small shim to raise the front of the sight base. I used galvanized metal that was .0035 “ thick and a little narrower than the sight base. I didn’t like the way the sight tended to “lean forward” on the tang. After the shim the sight to me tends to move more vertical. After I got the shim under the screw I lined the hole, added lock tight to the screw and installed the 8-32 screw to the front of the sight base. Here is what the sight base looks like installed.

Stock6.jpg

basefinished3.jpg

A picture with the slider installed. Notice I added white paint to the 0 to make it stand out. Also I took the scale off the slider and used a drill bit to increase the length to give me a little more range.

Rearsight2.jpg

Sorry about this picture being a little cockeyed.
Rearsight.jpg

basefinished2.jpg

basefinished1.jpg

OK, What happens if I screw up and drill the hole in the wrong place?
Well several things can happen.
1— If the hole is drilled left or right of the centerline the windage will not move at the right angle.
2— if the hole is not drilled with the right amount of distance between the holes it will not sit down right. Even to the point of not being able to install with this hole.

If you drill in the wrong place DON’T WORRY!!!! Anything can be fixed.
First if you have a welder weld the hole closed. If you don’t have a welder most towns have a place that can do this. After it is closed smooth down the weld with a grinder and a file. Round two. Really watch what you are doing on round two. Check everything several times and drill again. After the hole is drilled in the right place and the metal is filed or grinded down. Apply cold blue to cover up the repair.
I have messed up plenty of times. In the end it is not that hard to install these sights.. Make sure to check everything and don’t get in a rush. I know I have probably forgotten something. If you are going to try this for your self and have any questions feel free to ask. These last pictures are my latest rifle. I used a spacer under this sight to give me some extra yardage. If you use the spacer you don't need to remove any metal from the back of the sight. I like this method a lot. Ron

Hawken1.jpg

Hawken4.jpg

Hawken3.jpg

Very nicely done Ron! Thanks for your time to post that... :yeah:

I just bought a GPR flintlock with a Lyman 57 sight on it. More than likely i'll be taking it off, and putting the primitive sight back on.

It will be for sale. I believe it's the 57GPR sight.

Muley Hunter said:
I just bought a GPR flintlock with a Lyman 57 sight on it. More than likely i'll be taking it off, and putting the primitive sight back on.

It will be for sale. I believe it's the 57GPR sight.

Thanks Pete, but I found a Williams FP-Hawken with target knobs and it will be arriving tomorrow. I believe the Lyman for a T/C Hawken is a 57SML..

I was just throwing it out there for anybody. It's a bolt on for a GPR.

Do you have the link to see the Williams FP sight for the TC hawkens? I can't seem to find what they even look like. Ron

I looked but never saw one. Yours is the first one I have seen. It looks like your going to have to drill and tap a hole. Your slider is going to be very close to your wood. If it were me I would use a spacer like I did my Hawken before I took off wood. The TC's need to keep all the wood in the wrist that they can. Ron

idahoron said:
I looked but never saw one. Yours is the first one I have seen. It looks like your going to have to drill and tap a hole. Your slider is going to be very close to your wood. If it were me I would use a spacer like I did my Hawken before I took off wood. The TC's need to keep all the wood in the wrist that they can. Ron

My tang has a 3rd tapped hole in the center of the tang, so I may not need to tap one.. I will get back to you on how it works out after it arrives today. Thanks for your help..

I received the Williams sight today and installed it on my 54 T/C Hawken. All went smoothly with no extra holes to tap. The sight used the rear tang screw and the middle 8-40 tapped hole and matched perfectly! There is about a 1/32" clearance between the sight slide and the wood flat on the stock. I will gain a little more, as I plan to remove the old finish and redo the stock this winter. Now for some warm days to get this sighted in!
IMG_20131202_135351_zps4d4b6556.jpg

IMG_20131202_135440_zps2d3b7075.jpg

Looks awesome. I leave my screw on the side a little loose and I adjust the sight up or down for the distance of the shot. That is the same kind of one I have on my Knight. Ron

oldfox said:
I received the Williams sight today and installed it on my 54 T/C Hawken. All went smoothly with no extra holes to tap. The sight used the rear tang screw and the middle 8-40 tapped hole and matched perfectly! There is about a 1/32" clearance between the sight slide and the wood flat on the stock. I will gain a little more, as I plan to remove the old finish and redo the stock this winter. Now for some warm days to get this sighted in!
IMG_20131202_135351_zps4d4b6556.jpg

IMG_20131202_135440_zps2d3b7075.jpg

Don't forget to post a photo of that finished. I'd really like to see what she looks like and..... how she shoots.

Enjoy.........

Latest posts

Back