Williams peep sight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahoron

Reaction score
I really like the Lyman 57 SML on my Hot Rods. I started to look at a peep for the MK85 and I see that there is one model of the Lyman 66 that is supposed to work on the MK85. I am betting that I will have to get the receiver drilled for that to happen.
I see that Williams has a peep that looks like it mounts on the scope mounts.
I think I have seen a picture of a MK that SL (Mike) has that has a Williams sight on it.
Here is a link to the Peep I am looking at and I would appreciate any info anyone has. Ron

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/146652 ... inum-black

I have a couple of them and they work fine but they are not in the same class as the Lyman in my opinion. I have a couple lymans on my Whites. I think you are right about having to drill a couple holes in the side of the receiver to mount the Lyman on the mk. On the mk 85s I would just as soon have this type of receiver sight.
mk-85034-1.jpg

That's the Williams FP i'll be putting on my Wolverine which is similar to your gun Ron.

i had one on a CF gun, and it worked great. It should bolt onto the rear scope holes.

idahoron said:
I really like the Lyman 57 SML on my Hot Rods. I started to look at a peep for the MK85 and I see that there is one model of the Lyman 66 that is supposed to work on the MK85. I am betting that I will have to get the receiver drilled for that to happen.
I think I have seen a picture of a MK that SL (Mike) has that has a Williams sight on it.
Here is a link to the Peep I am looking at and I would appreciate any info anyone has. Ron

That is the one that I use.... 1/4 min clicks... the only thing that the Lyman has that these do not is the quick release elevation change.

But I would call Williams then ext #228 ask for Steve and order from him the sight will be slightly less and the shipping could be a lot less.

FPComposite.jpg

P1010002a.jpg

flounder said:
I have a couple of them and they work fine but they are not in the same class as the Lyman in my opinion. I have a couple lymans on my Whites. I think you are right about having to drill a couple holes in the side of the receiver to mount the Lyman on the mk. On the mk 85s I would just as soon have this type of receiver sight.
mk-85034-1.jpg

I can't quite see what that one looks like. Do you have a better picture. BTW thanks for the help with the rifle. Ron

sabotloader said:
idahoron said:

That is the one that I use.... 1/4 min clicks... the only thing that the Lyman has that these do not is the quick release elevation change.

But I would call Williams then ext #228 ask for Steve and order from him the sight will be slightly less and the shipping could be a lot less.

FPComposite.jpg

P1010002a.jpg

That was the set of pictures I saw. I don't remember where I saw them. How do you like them for hunting? Ron

Muley Hunter said:
That's the Williams FP i'll be putting on my Wolverine which is similar to your gun Ron.

i had one on a CF gun, and it worked great. It should bolt onto the rear scope holes.

The FP is the one I am thinking about. I would rather use the Lyman but I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of drilling. Ron

idahoron said:
flounder said:
mk-85034-1.jpg

I can't quite see what that one looks like. Do you have a better picture. BTW thanks for the help with the rifle. Ron

That sight, the Williams WGRS, is not even in the same league with the FP or the Lyman. It is totally a slide and glide sight

Here is a picture of it installed on my White Lightning only because it can not be fitted with a FP..

IMG_1349.jpg

idahoron said:
sabotloader said:
idahoron said:

FPComposite.jpg

P1010002a.jpg

That was the set of pictures I saw. I don't remember where I saw them. How do you like them for hunting? Ron

When I first installed it I really wanted to go with the Lyman because of the quick release elevation control. But for the FP works great because I have a 125-200 yard max set inmy mind anyway so using a 3" PBR it all works out.

In low light I just remove the apeture and use the sight as a ghost ring. So I am happy with it and with good light I put the apeture back in. Williams also has a twilight apeture that does help some what. You can see it in the first composite pictures. The apeture has a polished brass ring in it. I do use the .091 apeture for hunting.

I wonder how the Twilight with the biggest hole would work? I think it comes in .150. Maybe bigger. I sort of forgot.

Muley Hunter said:
I wonder how the Twilight with the biggest hole would work? I think it comes in .150. Maybe bigger. I sort of forgot.

That could be an interesting thought... I should look that up I think I have two of them I could drill one out and test those thoughts...

I have a new one like Sabotloader has pictured. It won't work on my MK because of a set screw they had on the old model.

I'll sell it if anyone want's it. I went with style Flounder has displayed.

IMG_0651.jpg

I am interested in that peep sight. Do you have a picture showing the set screw that won't allow mounting? After I get the rifle I will take a look and see if your peep will work. if it will I would be interested. What kind of price do you want for the sight, and do you have the mounting screws and everything that goes with it? Ron

sabotloader said:
idahoron said:
flounder said:
mk-85034-1.jpg

That sight, the Williams WGRS, is not even in the same league with the FP or the Lyman. It is totally a slide and glide sight

Here is a picture of it installed on my White Lightning only because it can not be fitted with a FP..

IMG_1349.jpg

That smaller one is the one I mentioned earlier Ron. I had one on one of my mk's a short while, and while I agree its not as nice as larger one is...once it was dialed in and locked down, it was good to go.

idahoron said:
I am interested in that peep sight. Do you have a picture showing the set screw that won't allow mounting? After I get the rifle I will take a look and see if your peep will work. if it will I would be interested. What kind of price do you want for the sight, and do you have the mounting screws and everything that goes with it? Ron

Ron, the set screw is in his pic...right on the side of the receiver. The older mk's had that ... it was designed to hold the plunger from coming loose. Sometime in the mid 90's they did away with it and put an oring on the plunger to keep it snug. You'll have to check and see if your gun has that screw.

sabotloader said:
idahoron said:
flounder said:
mk-85034-1.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

You are right Pete but most of my shooting is relatively short range compared to a lot of you so I set them for 100 yards and I leave them.
Of the three, I still think the Lyman is best. The quick release feature lets me take the top part off when I clean the gun. Also, with the Lyman you can make elevation adjustments in the field for that long shot without needing to loosen lock screws. Then you can pust the button and adjust the sight right back to where it was. I don't use the Lyman to anywhere near its full capabilities but I still like the fact that it has those features. :)

WV Hunter said:
idahoron said:

Ron, the set screw is in his pic...right on the side of the receiver. The older mk's had that ... it was designed to hold the plunger from coming loose. Sometime in the mid 90's they did away with it and put an oring on the plunger to keep it snug. You'll have to check and see if your gun has that screw.

The set screw should not interfere because you mount the Foolproof sights in the front two of the rear three holes. This mk 85 is one of the older ones with the set screw in back and the FP sight goes on without a problem.
P1170152_zps015a4cca.jpg

Your new one does not have the setscrew anyway
Art

Latest posts

Back