Winchester Platinum 260g

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Twild provided these 45 caliber bullets. They measure 0.451".

IMG_2825.JPG

IMG_2823.JPG

The roll of tape on the second jug was removed before the shot. The range was 25 yard. Powder charge was 80 grain Blackhorn. The bullet went through carpet, plywood, completely blew up the first three water jugs, poked holes through the last three, then went through the phone book. The trap failed to capture the bullet. Photo shows the exit on the back of the phone book.

IMG_2828.JPG

I've been hoping someone did some sort of test with these bullets. A buddy used the platinum bullet Winchester 12 slug shell for deer one year and shot two deer with them. Both deer were shot at about 70-80 yards and had some real radical damage even though no large bones were hit. Both were in and out. It looks like the phone book can go in the fire pit now. lol

Someone needs to donate some more of those and test with a much thicker phone book or some other way to trap the bullet to see what the expanded bullets look like.

Is it possible the bullets have age hardened? A cross section of the bullet to check jacket thickness and brindel hardness. Something is not right.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

qwakattak said:
Someone needs to donate some more of those and test with a much thicker phone book or some other way to trap the bullet to see what the expanded bullets look like.
The way the bullet retained it's energy, it seems it didn't 'expand' at all? Can say the entrance hole in the phone book was small, and nice, and round. One change in the test that may encourage expansion is to eliminate the carpet/plywood in front of the jugs?

If you need more bullets and other supplies let me know. Not really what I expected or hoped for, I'm not planning a Elephant hunt anytime soon.

Years ago I shot a Winchester 12 gauge slug called BRI . They were a saboted lead slug that looked kind of like a pellet . The lead was extremely hard . You couldn't make a Mark on the slug with your finger nail . I shot several deer with the slugs . I never had any expansion . I even shot one buck through both shoulders . I even had a buddy kill 2 does by accident . Slug went completely through both does . The slugs were accurate but I abandoned the slug due to no expansion

BuckDoeHunter said:
Wow! I never would have thought that bullet would do that. Do you think the nose filled with material and no expansion took place? 50 grain test?

After seeing all that damage, they should have called the bullet Winchester Plutonium, not Platinum.

I shot several deer with these bullets in Winchester 20 ga slugs. Performance was awesome , they listed 1800 FPS . All pass thrus , most DRT . I wonder if that bullet expanded in the first 3 jugs , shed nose and the shank drove the rest of the way thru. Those first 3 jugs did not look like no expansion.

The 260 grain Platinum Tip features a hardened, swaged lead core with the addition of about 2-1/2 percent antimony. This is the hardest lead that Winchester's swaging presses would smoothly handle. The bullet's silver colored "Platinum" jacket is one of the thickest I've seen on a muzzleloading bullet, and it features a very deep hollow point and has an exposed lead base. It was designed and tested to be the "ideal" muzzleloading deer-hunting bullet. Winchester consulted with MMP, and found that the HPH12 sabot, which appears overly long for the bullet, gave the best accuracy from their ensemble of test guns.

drift shooter said:
I shot several deer with these bullets in Winchester 20 ga slugs. Performance was awesome , they listed 1800 FPS . All pass thrus , most DRT . I wonder if that bullet expanded in the first 3 jugs , shed nose and the shank drove the rest of the way thru. Those first 3 jugs did not look like no expansion.
I think your performance was your accurate shot, Ron shot this at 1800fps.
Ron notes if he see's evidence of fragmented pieces in the jugs, sometimes recovering them - their light in weight and don't travel far.
The 1st 3 jugs are Hydrostatic shock, like nearly all the test - HP that perform on non-fractuing bullets will really move water.

Latest posts

Back