The Optima Report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
The Optima Report...

I got my work done early today. Ran to the big city and grabbed a set of steel Weaver bases that fit the Optima. Did a few other things and headed home.

At home I decide to see how the open sights would shoot. Set a target up at 26 yards. I took with me some Pyrodex RS and some BlackHorn 209. I also took some 240 gr .430 Hornady XTP and crushed rib sabots. And some 348 gr Aero Tip Powerbelts.

DSCN4809.jpg

My concern today was not so much accuracy but just to see how the rifle functioned, and swabbed, etc.. So I started with 80 grains of Pyrodex RS and the XTP's. I shot four rounds with the open sights and as I have said countless times.. I am not a fan of fiber optic sights!! The sun was to my right and it caused the red front sight to grow a moon from the glow of it. Also the stock on this rifle is very hard to get behind.

I discovered.. to really set that sight deep in the rear sight I have to almost get off the back of the rifle. Or there is part of the check piece that really presses into my cheek and is not comfortable to shoot, trying to get down, into the stock.

DSCN4814.jpg

I realized that if the rifle had a scope on it, it would raise me enough off that stock to make it comfortable. So I went in the house, and mounted the Weaver Bases. Not real happy with them. Far to restricting on where the scope has to be placed. And I grabbed a $19.99 Simmons Pro Sport 4x32 scope off the shelf where I keep extras. And then I mounted that in a set of QR rings I had laying around.

Since I had swabbed the barrel clean, I decided.. lets try some BlackHorn 209 and see if this breech plug will shoot the stuff. Well even with a Winchester W209 primer I shot off BlackHorn like there was nothing to it. I shot four rounds of the XTP's with the Blackhorn and was surprised they hit higher.. but it was obvious that either the charge was wrong or the rifle does not like XTPS or crushed rib sabots.

So I swabbed the rifle clean and got out the powerbelts. All I had were 348 grain Aero Tip. I loaded 80 grains of Pyrodex RS and shot 5 rounds of them. Surprising was.. they hit even higher then the XTPs. And while at the distance I was shooting.. it should have been a ragged hole.. I really was not worried about accuracy at this point.

DSCN4810.jpg

After 13 rounds.. the open area of the breech plug is still very very clean. No fouling on the back of the rifle where the firing pin lays, and the plug looked clean. Very impressed with that.

DSCN4812.jpg

The firing pin is hitting nice and deep and dead center in the primers.. again pleased with that.

DSCN4811.jpg

After shooting, I break the rifle open and tilt upward and the spent primers fall right out. Notice how pristine in condition they are. There just is not a lot of fouling out of this rifle.

So I ran the target out to 50 yards and decided to shoot at a picture on the target...

DSCN4813.jpg

The bottom hit was 80 grains of BlackHorn 209. The top hit was 80 grains of Pyrodex RS. I was aiming dead center on the picture of Blackhorn 209 of course.

Cleaning the rifle was just a breeze. I took the fore end off and removed the barrel. The breech plug turned right out, easy, as advertised. I had used Slick 50 One Grease on it, and it was still the green anti seize. I was impressed. No blow back. A few patches later and the barrel was spotless. I ran two alcohol patches for the benefit of the Black Horn 209, and then two patches of Simple Green. A couple dry patches and an oil patch. Just a real easy rifle to clean.

So I have a lot of load work to do. I was going to order a BlackHorn breech plug but after today, to be honest.. I think when the BlackHorn runs out, I will be happy with the other powder. I do want to find a real accurate load. When the new scopes come in, this rifle will get a Cabela's 3-9x40mm PowderHorn Muzzleloader Scope. They were on sale for $28.95 and for that price.. I want to see what they are like.

A very nice rifle so far. Next time out, it will be pellets. Any bullet suggestions?

What are the triggers like on these? Are they adjustable.?

How much is the BH209 conversion?

I do not believe the trigger is adjustable. But I will say, it is one of the best triggers I have used on a muzzleloader. No creep to it, and it breaks really clean. It breaks at #4 lbs. I have a turkey scale to weigh turkey and I tied a string to the trigger and gently pulled backward, watching the scale. At #4 it breaks.

The BlackHorn conversion is as simple as changing the breech plug to a different style. CVA has them listed for $22.00 which is not bad. I do not have that breech plug. I am using the standard plug but this rifle still shot BlackHorn 209 with no problem. My concern is.. if BlackHorn 209 carbon deposited the inside of that tiny fire channel, it might be a devil to clean. Maybe with a guitar string. But I am not a big BlackHorn fan. But let me quality that statement.

BlackHorn 209 is a great powder. If you set your rifle up to shoot BlackHorn, and get great accuracy and performance, that is wonderful. I have shot several pounds of BlackHorn. I have good and bad experiences with the powder.

My over all conclusion of BlackHorn 209 is if you like this powder and what it does for you.. that's great. I can get the same kind of performance out of Triple Seven and other powders. Also I clean my rifles at the end of the day. So BlackHorn is not an advantage in that respect.

So next I want to try some pellets. Pyrodex RS pellets. And some 300 grain Hornady XTP.

cayuga nice report.

I handled quite a few of the newer CVAs at Cabelas and l liked the Optima the best. It just fit me better and the price is very reasonable. It would be interesting to see how it shoots with some UC Short conicals and maybe some light amounts of BH209 vs Pyro or Goex.

I was going to shoot today, but it is WINDY out there. And I want to be fair to the rifle when breaking it in.. so I decided to stay inside where it is nice and warm. I will shoot some of the UC Short Mags. Does anyone know the barrel lands and grooves? That way I can make the conical slip fit.

You know I have cussed CVA for better part of my ML career for building a pile of crap but it seems they may really have something in this ML by all the indications I have read on the internet. I would really like to get my hands on one of these to ring out.

Cayuga I would love to work out a deal with you during the off season where I send you a batch of bullets or something in trade and you send me your Optima for evaluation purposes. Send it right back to you of course after a week or so. Ill put it through the ringer on the bench with some BH209 with moderate loads of various projectiles and post reports here.

Who knows I could become a CVA convert.???

I've ordered one from Carlos for my grandson Chandler. He'll love it. Now if I can just convince him to CLEAN it.

At least it is very easy to clean the rifle. I think he will like the rifle. And for $209.00 I really did not need it but could not walk away from it.

Congratulations on the rifle cayuga.

I think these are the best bang for the buck rifles currently made. Don't overlook the pistol version of the Optima either.

167.jpg

A little more money than the rifle version, but with the right load, can shoot 1 hole groups at 50 yards.

185.jpg

Shoot extremely clean, and have the best sealing breech plug in the business, IMO.

190.jpg

192.jpg

Easy to carry and take up very little room while hunting.

100_0319.jpg

Oh, and they work pretty good too. :wink:

100_0333.jpg

I find it hard to pass up those rifles for $210, but I already have some very good tip-ups that would be hard to beat.

My fathers ss thumbhole optima with the cva blackhorn plug and 110 gr of bh209 under a TC 200 gr shockwave shoots little tiny groups and is very clean (zero blowback). He got rid of an encore that gave us fits for years trying to get it to shoot to go to this one. Needless to say, he is very pleased.

yes.. .501 is what I got. I pushed a Thor through the Optima and the .501 was not loose but not hard to send through.

cayuga said:
Busta.. what load do you shoot out of that pistol?

80 grains BH209, 200 gr Shockwave, Nobel NSI Primer, with a CVA Blackhorn 209 breech plug.

thanks Busta.. that is some excellent shooting for a pistol. And a definite deer killer.

my wife is buying me the camo thumbhole version for christmas. has anyone shot one of those and what did you think of it?

OptimaAndy said:
my wife is buying me the camo thumbhole version for christmas. has anyone shot one of those and what did you think of it?

That is the one my father bought that is doing so well for him. Good luck with yours!

I was tempted to get the thumbhole model but could not justify it for an extra $80.00. Also I am not sure I would want a thumbhole model hunting.. especially in the thickets I walk in. But it is the same action and barrel, and I am sure it would be a good shooter too.

That's a great wife you got there. Any wife that buys guns for you is ok in my book.

Latest posts

Back