Patched round balls at 40 yards

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexander101

Reaction score
Today I did a little bit of shooting with the rifle that I cleaned up a bit and I was surprised to get some accuracy at 40 yards with patched round balls because the barrel is 1:28 twist, but I guess it’s not as big of a problem as I thought. It’s not a great group and I think I flinched a lot on the low shot but it seems more accurate than the 12 gauge slugs I’ve shot for hunting. I’m using peep sights which also helps a lot over the open sights on the shotgun.

Attachments

• IMG_5637.jpeg
    IMG_5637.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Faster Twist barrels in my limited experience shoot better groups with a bit lighter charge than slow twist. I shoot my 32 Seneca which is 1 in 30 down to 10 grains with great accuracy. Above about 36-37 grains it shoots well but not quite as tight of a group. I keep my hunting loads for squirrel at 15 Grains and within 35 yards. How many grains are you shootng?

Faster Twist barrels in my limited experience shoot better groups with a bit lighter charge than slow twist. I shoot my 32 Seneca which is 1 in 30 down to 10 grains with great accuracy. Above about 36-37 grains it shoots well but not quite as tight of a group. I keep my hunting loads for squirrel at 15 Grains and within 35 yards. How many grains are you shootng?
I used 60 grains for those shots

Back