LHR Redemption

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday I decided to shoot the LHR Redemption. I had read about some problems with them and since I had one I figured I better check it out. I've had it for a couple years but never shot it.

I had mounted a SEEAlll sight on once but never got around to shooting it. I took the seeall off and mounted a Nikon scope 3x9 on it

I ended up starting to hay yesterday so I didn't make it out. This morning I braved the mosquitos and went to the pasture.
My goal was simply to check and see how it shot and get it on paper.
I started off with 110 gr blackhorn, federal primer,and 250 gr sst

I had forgot my rest and didn't feel like going back. I found a rear Caldwell bag so I decided to use it for the front and not use a rear, just my shoulder. Besides I was only shooting at 50 yards.

Good thing I put up two targets as the first shot was between them, but at least I could see where it was.:s4:

More scope adjustment and I ended up with the top 3 shot group
Then even more adjustment and I got the lower 3 shot group.

One more scope adjustment and then I switched primers. The federal primers were sticking in the primer pocket and I got tired of prying them out each time so I tried Winchester primers to see if it made a difference. For the record it didn't. they stuck also but they gave a better group.

here's the first two shots

And here was the three shot group

For a group like that I can live with a stuck primer. Plus this alleviated my fears of accuracy problems,which is what I was worried about because when you open the gun there is a lot of side to side movement. It's tight when locked up but loose when open and I had major concerns there.
I never thought I would see a gun that could shoot right up there with my Knight Elite but this one has that potential. I realize this is only 50 yards but this was just a basic 110 gr blackhorn and one bullet selection. No variations , no working up the perfect load. I think if it can do this at 50 yards it should be able to do it at longer ranges.

all the reports I have read say they are great shooters...and looks like your falls in that catergory....also they were just bought out..dont know who bought them...well find out soon I guess....

the problem they had was the hinge pin...made the barrel wobble when open and closed..I guess it was some of the early production....the local gun shop had a few and said they were recalled in to be checked and never got any back..lol...been over 7 months...had to get a refund of the purchase...

Al-53 said:
all the reports I have read say they are great shooters...and looks like your falls in that catergory....also they were just bought out..dont know who bought them...well find out soon I guess....

the problem they had was the hinge pin...made the barrel wobble when open and closed..I guess it was some of the early production....the local gun shop had a few and said they were recalled in to be checked and never got any back..lol...been over 7 months...had to get a refund of the purchase...
The wobble in the hinge pin is what worried me but it didnt seem to affect it . Of course i was only shooting 50 yards . Gonna try 100 and 200 and see what happens .

1874sharpsshooter said:
Al-53 said:

The wobble in the hinge pin is what worried me but it didnt seem to affect it . Of course i was only shooting 50 yards . Gonna try 100 and 200 and see what happens .

It was a very common problem with the LHR. Many that were purchased ended up on the "used" racks. The slightest movement with any break-open rifle will modify problems at longer ranges, where it will really show up. If she shoots tight groups at 200, you have a rare rifle and a keeper.

Have a Redemption also and won the Hunter class at May shoot in Friendship one year. I also won 500 yd. Match at Friendship the first year I got it. I had problem with the hinge pin when closed and it wobbled but sent it back and they fixed it. It still wobbles when open but not closed. It shoots pretty much like yours and I use black powder

fivebull said:
Have a Redemption also and won the Hunter class at May shoot in Friendship one year. I also won 500 yd. Match at Friendship the first year I got it. I had problem with the hinge pin when closed and it wobbled but sent it back and they fixed it. It still wobbles when open but not closed. It shoots pretty much like yours and I use black powder

Its my understanding that there was a "fix". LHR sent out parts to one of the local shops near me, to tighten up two they had on the rack. What that fix is/was, I have no clue.

ENCORE50A said:
fivebull said:

Its my understanding that there was a "fix". LHR sent out parts to one of the local shops near me, to tighten up two they had on the rack. What that fix is/was, I have no clue.
They never told me how they done the Fix either .

fivebull said:
Congrats on some good shooting at friendship . Ever try a White or a 1:20 knight ? They are my favorite for long range shooting .

Thanks. Yes I have two Knights an old 1-20 .45 disc, which I changed to bare primer and a Knight with Green Mountain 1-18 .45 . I shoot PP bullets 500 grn from both. I still have the Redemption probably give it to Grandson. I think the redemption makes a fine hunting rifle

Fantastic accuracy! I can't wait to see pics and read about your long range shooting. Do you use the BDc reticle on your scope?
It really can enhance your shooting when firing past your original zero.

inline.jpg

bman940 said:
Fantastic accuracy! I can't wait to see pics and read about your long range shooting. Do you use the BDc reticle on your scope?
It really can enhance your shooting when firing past your original zero.

inline.jpg

bman... I like your rest :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the forum... :yeah:

Thanks to all who have welcomed me, very kind. I've always found ML guy's a bit more laid back and fun then hard core rifle shooters. Life's just to short to not enjoy!

I have an LHR that I purchased Feb 014. It is a fantastic shooter. No hinge pin problems. I would be surprised to see the gun not print at longer distances.

My Redemption does not have a hinge pin problem and I've had good groups with 110 gr BH 209, Harvester's 300 gr. PT Gold, a black Crush Rib sabot and a standard Winchester 209 primer. As soon as we get a little cooler weather here in South Louisiana I'll head back to range to finalize hunting load fr our West Texas lease

Great shooting! I don't understand how a loose hinge pin would affect accuracy. The scope is mounted to the barrel, so it moves with it. Zero'd is zero'd as long as they move together. You could get a slightly different resting point if there's slop when closed up, requiring you to adjust your cheek hold but honestly, there are so many other variables that will have an effect on accuracy. I think lens Parallax would have a much larger impact. If the barrel were receiver mounted, a loose hinge pin would destroy any chance of accuracy but the way they're designed, I always hear nothing but great reviews of them. Really nice triggers in them, I almost bought one.

Latest posts

Back