Nosler Ballistic Tip MZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This morning as requested by Wolfer, we tested the Nosler Ballistic Tip MZ. Range was 25 yard. Load was 80g Blackhorn.

The bullet blew through the carpet, shelving, water jugs, and into the phone book. The bullet fell out of the book onto the ground as the book fell. It now weighs 300.1 grain. The new bullet weighs 299.8 grain.

IMG_0713.JPG

Interesting on the link provided that Nosler states:
1. ..expansion
2. ...expansion
3. ...expansion
Seems nothing of the sort, more like solid steel..
Thanks

Ron

Like you I though the tip compressing into the nose of the bullet would start expansion - guess not!

Ron thanks, I have a bunch of the 300 gr. Noslers. What is best guess, ie SWAG on velocity you got? I plan to shoot in my Savage MLII and I can get them humpin up to 2400 to 2600 if need be and it looks like that is the case. Of course a 45 cal hole clear through is pretty nice too. I really liked the old "super slugs" when my White Rifle was #1 on the take hunting list and those slugs always exited and probably didn't expand atall. thanks, W

I once sectioned some 225 grain .358 Noslers that I was shooting in a 35 Whelen. Velocity was 2700fps, but expansion was nil. As it turned out, 60% of the bullet weight was jacket. Accuracy was truly impressive, but they were far to tough for deer. In contrast, the .277 and .284 Noslers at 3100fps are a bomb! These bullets have gone through about 4 generations and the early ones are really fragile.

Back