Fury 45 Caliber 300g LT

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_4839.JPG

Dennis Kautz provided this bullet. Actual weight is 300.1 grain. The bullet was smooth sized to fit between the lands, so it could be easily pushed down the barrel to the powder. Still, the bullet was plenty tight so it had to stay in place.

IMG_4833.JPG

The distance between the rifle, and the bottles is 25 yard.

IMG_4832.JPG

The bullet blew through every bottle; blew the phone book maybe ten feet back, and fell out of the book onto the ground. It now weighs 296.7 grain.

IMG_4836.JPG

After shooting the bullet into the carpet, plywood, and bottles, it was examined for rifling marks, and expansion. Note the rifling engraved in the bullet. Fifty grain Blackhorn powder was enough to bump the bullet into the rifling. Is it strange the bullet is soft enough to be expanded into the rifling, but didn't expand much from the impact with the bottles?

it is because of the water, I would try with phone book first and then water

That is about what was thinking - so I would bet that with 80 grains you will get the expansion you might expect. The bullet must need a much higher expansion velocity. Think you might to get it up to 1400 fps. I think you have had to move up on several bullets that you have tested to get them to expand. I wonder if they would open with 60 grains?

Well, some bullets shot using 80 grain Blackhorn were clocked at 25 yard. Speeds were recorded in the individual bullet thread. Don't know which bullets. So............not knowing for sure where to look, and not knowing for sure the exact numbers; my guess is, from memory. From tired old memory, if one shot this bullet using 80 grain Blackhorn, it will be traveling at around 1600 fps, at the bottles, at 25 yard.

One can look up muzzle velocity on Western' website.

Back