Parker 275 grain Ballistic Extreme

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The other day Scott sent a pile of bullets. He mentioned he would really like to see the Platinum, and the 275g Parker BE tested. A couple of days ago the Platinum was shot, and this morning the Parker was shot through carpet, shelving, and water filled jugs. The load was 80g Blackhorn; range was 26 yard.

The bullet made a small entry hole in the first jug, then blew out the backside. The front of the second jug had quite a large entry hole, and the jug was blown, and flattened. The third jug is where the bullet was found; it has a hole in, and no hole out; just a dent. The fourth jug still holds water; has a scar where the bullet hit. The bullet now weighs 201.3g.

IMG_0735.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

Shed all it's copper coat and no signs it's a ballistic tip bullet. $1.84 apiece.

Actually they are cheaper than that and i paid far less from Traditions on close out.

This is the current price for 50. ASG071-Parker 275GR Ballistic Extreme (50 pack)--$70

But as i said on HNI, im very cautious about recommending them to others. The reviews from many ULA owners in the SML section have been nearly identical...very very dead deer. Kills have usually been extremely quick and accuracy is outstanding. The 275gr BE fared much better in Doohan's gel tests at a much higher speed. (over 2100fps)

Both penetrated over 19" of gel and almost destroyed the bench.
Perma-Gel063.jpg

Perma-Gel037.jpg

Pass through can be iffy outside the classic broadside shot. Meat damage is extreme if you hit the shoulder. I would be much happier with the BE if the jacket was a tad thicker and pure copper or possibly just use the 300gr version.

Not trying to hijack this thread but has Doohan posted lately? Always like his information.

jims said:
Not trying to hijack this thread but has Doohan posted lately? Always like his information.

While Doohan is still a member of this forum he has not posted in several years now. And I have personally lost track of him completely.

jims said:

Last active: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:03 pm

I may know how you can get in touch with him. He now runs the family business. I dont know him personally but i looked him up not long ago.

Impressive pics there GM54. Expansion Galore - held together well at 2100, for being lead. I can see why you have considered this bullet for hunting season.

I think it should be noted in the same test Doohan did, the 250gr Shockwave blew into bits...literally.
Perma-Gel025.jpg

Latest posts

Back