Hornady 350 Grain FP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
shguns sent this bullet to test. Range was 25 1/2 yard. Powder charge was 80g Blackhorn.

350fp2.jpg

The photo above, is of the set 0.2 second after impact. It shows the horse up on it's hind legs. The horse also spun about a foot to the right. The bullet tore through the carpet, plywood, all the jugs, and buried itself in the phone book. All of the jugs had more damage than just a hole in and a hole out. Some had significant tears on both entrance, and exit. It may be i pulled the lead out of the jacket when i removed it from the pages of the book, but i don't think i did. The combined weight of the lead, and jacket is 322.7 grain.

IMG_0895.JPG

45 Cal .458 350gr InterLock® FP same bullet??? interlock bullet should come apart like that should it??? thanks michael

In the town I live in I can currently buy this Hornady bullet, or a Speer 350 grain .458 Hot Core Flat Point.
It could be that the Speer version may hold together better than the Hornady????
I may pick up a box of the Speer to try in my guns.

What i saw, is the bullet held together just fine! It penetrated a way better than most. Most of the bullet shred the front two jugs, and go through one or two more with just a hole in, and a hole out. This bullet damaged jugs all along it's path, making big splits in the jugs along the way. The jacket was with the lead inside the phone book, not left behind. Many of the well known deer killing bullets tested, were found in the third or fourth jug. Me, i won't use this bullet for deer, but i certainly wouldn't hesitate to use it on elk, bear, or in Jurassic Park.

I would not buy the Speer because it may hold together better. I would buy it because it has a better BC if i wanted to shoot high end loads.

The Optima is the rifle used to shoot that bullet. Don't recall the recoil. Referencing the picture of the bullet--the camera mis-numbered a photo of Ed' hollow point conical; it has been deleted. Here is a photo of the bullet:

IMG_0915.JPG

Latest posts

Back