Screwbolts' 289g Hardcast Boolit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
screwbolts, my mentor, sent these boolits quite awhile back. He say they are 289 grain water dropped, wheel weight, hard boolits. This morning, it just about penetrated the whole world. Range was 25 yard. Powder charge was 80g Blackhorn.

IMG_0933.JPG

289hardboolit3.jpg

The photo shows the 6 jugs, one extra, the boolit went through. The first 4 jugs exhibit tears, and shreds around the entrance, and exit holes. Extensive damage to the second jug shows in the photo. The first, and third jugs have large tears. The last two jugs show small tears at the entrance, and exit holes. The last jug, an extra that was placed for insurance had the cap blown off. The boolit went through the yellow pages, through the residential white pages, and on into the business white pages where it finally stopped. It weighs 288.1 grain.

IMG_0930.JPG

IMG_0931.JPG

Hardcasts have been the hardest for me to stop with media. They tend to plow through everything.

My serious bullet for Ruger 45 Colt loads is the Cast Performance .452 WFN 265 grain hard cast. I have no doubt it would also do fine out of a M-L, held in the proper sabot.

If you want a bullet stop that has stopped everything I have shot at it, try 27 inches of rubber garden mulch. I built a box using treated 6' x 5-1/2"x 5/8" fence boards, about 11" x 11" x 18" long and filled it with mulch. This stopped pretty much everything, but I was having some stopped at the very end. I then added another 9" to the back end and added 4 pieces of old tires inter-spaced with more mulch. Nothing has penetrated even the first layer of tires.

Latest posts

Back