THOMPSON CENTER PRO HUNTER FX

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone out there have any experience shooting a tc encore or pro hunter fx at 200 to 300yd ranges? if so I would sure like to hear about bullets, propellant etc. it would be very helpful and I sure would appreciate it. guy

Are you looking for 300 paper target load or actually a hunting load??

Lets say 2100 fps and 290 barnes tez bullet you will drop below1000 lbs of energy at 225 yds so 300 seems unrealistic.

I know with a 1450 fps load and a 550 grain paper patch bullet you could maintain1000 lbs energy out to 300 yds but you will need alot of elevation adjustment in scope.

gmstack said:
Has anyone out there have any experience shooting a tc encore or pro hunter fx at 200 to 300yd ranges? if so I would sure like to hear about bullets, propellant etc. it would be very helpful and I sure would appreciate it. guy
120 gr Blackhorn and the 260 gr scorpion pt gold will give you over 900 # energy left at 250 yds . Thats good enough for up to elk size animal . Not good enough for moose or big bears but deer or elk you would be ok as long as your accuracy is up to par .
I use a 110 gr blackhorn with the 260 dead center and i would use it on elk out to 250 .

what would you consider the Minimum energy necessary to take down a whitetail. I would like to feel comfortable at taking a whitetail down at 250 yds

I like them, I really like their stocks with respect to absorbing recoil. I inherited my first in-line a year before the first NMRLA in-line match. It's a standard 209x50 with a 4x scope. I did cut the counter bore (QLA?) off from the muzzle in order to load PP bullets.
I made a 0.450" 400gr HP mold for a sabot, then made a heavier 500gr PP. For me, I preferred the heavier PP over 85gr Swiss 2F.

My actual pig hits from the match. I still recall my spotter telling me I was a little high on the last 2 hits, came down 1 MOA and shot my 5th. Bestill and I were the only 2 shooters who hit all 10 animals.

Attachments

• 2013 NMLRA Encore medals.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,428
  • 50 500 PP HP mold.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,428
  • 300M pig.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,428
bendback said:
what would you consider the Minimum energy necessary to take down a whitetail. I would like to feel comfortable at taking a whitetail down at 250 yds
Personally i like to have 600 for deer .

52Bore said:
I like them, I really like their stocks with respect to absorbing recoil. I inherited my first in-line a year before the first NMRLA in-line match. It's a standard 209x50 with a 4x scope. I did cut the counter bore (QLA?) off from the muzzle in order to load PP bullets.
I made a 0.450" 400gr HP mold for a sabot, then made a heavier 500gr PP. For me, I preferred the heavier PP over 85gr Swiss 2F.
2013 NMLRA Encore medals.jpg
50 500 PP HP mold.jpg

My actual pig hits from the match. I still recall my spotter telling me I was a little high on the last 2 hits, came down 1 MOA and shot my 5th. Bestill and I were the only 2 shooters who hit all 10 animals.
300M pig.jpg
Mighty fine shooting there . Someday i hope to get that good :)

The recommended minimum is 800 fp.
I have 2 Encores , a Endeavor 50 caliber and an Encore pro hunter stock and action I put together and mounted a 45 caliber barrel on.
My favorite loads are shock Wave or SST and the Lehigh 250 gr. bullets for the 50 caliber with 140 gr BH and for the 45 I use 120 gr BH and 200 gr SW or SST and the Lehigh 200 gr for hunting. For ground hogs and armadillos I use the 180 gr. with 70 gr of BH in the 45.
I have taken deer at 188 yards in IL and bear at 200+ in Canada but where I live the only long range shooting is at the rifle range.

(Deer) Minimum required is 500. It's in a couple dozen older history books and rifle manufacturer & bullet manuals on muzzleloading and that's when the least penetrating roundball was king of the bullet world. So if 500 was fine with roundball back then, then 500 is all that's required for today's much better harvesting modern bullets, barrels, ignitions and powders.

I personally would agree minimum maybe500-600 lb energy but i would much rather not hunt with minimum.
I would recommend1000 to be safe
As you get out to 200 plus yards shot placement in a hunting situation becomes tougher and at minimum energy level seems a gamble.

Agreed

As the chance of being off the mark slightly increases with distance, the higher FPE and FPS will make up for that to some extent. You could barely miss the heart for example but the tissue displacement is still enough to cause sever damage to the heart or aorta.

I would rather be "over gunned" than "under gunned" when it comes to hunting.

A couple ballistics programs I'm using, indicate approximately 900fpe at 300yds with the 290 Barnes...

I've taken MANY deer at 200yds and beyond, blowing completely through them with 250gr Barnes TMZ's from Encore platform rifles. However, I practiced at those ranges. Lots of practice.

GoexBlackhorn said:
(Deer) Minimum required is 500. It's in a couple dozen older history books and rifle manufacturer & bullet manuals on muzzleloading and that's when the least penetrating roundball was king of the bullet world. So if 500 was fine with roundball back then, then 500 is all that's required for today's much better harvesting modern bullets, barrels, ignitions and powders.

I do not doubt that there are many figures some where out there , I go by the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Hand book and I have found it to be good information. The real question that comes into play here is the design of the bullet, a soft lead round ball will flatten very easy and do a lot of damage where as a jacketed bullet especially one that has harder lead in it won't. I believe that for all practical purposes each bullet has to be judged individually.

My TC pro hunter I use 250 grain sabbaths the TC yellow tip and 90 grain of trpl 7 loose powder. That's what TC told me, and it shoots flawless, but I have to clean with bore butter between every shot or I have trouble loading. Hope this helps.

My TC pro hunter I use 250 grain sabbaths the TC yellow tip and 90 grain of trpl 7 loose powder. That's what TC told me, and it shoots flawless, but I have to clean with bore butter between every shot or I have trouble loading. Hope this helps.
I never thought of Bore Bummer as a cleaner. Lube yes....but not a cleaner. There are far far better products out there now.

You should try just using a damp(with just water) patch between each shot instead of bore butter. Damp patch, dry patch. Works great on t7.

Latest posts

Back