300g XTP Magnum -- 80g BH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The recent discussions about bullets suitable for hunting bear, got me fired up, to look at the 300 grain XTP Magnum.

The bullet penetrated the carpet, plywood, and all six jugs. It was found in the last jug.

IMG_1903.JPG

IMG_1900.JPG

IMG_1901.JPG

IMG_1902.JPG

My WAG is they use the same lead alloy in both the MAGs and its different than the non MAGs. The 300gr XTP i shot with 100gr of BH209 expanded more but only retained about 190gr. The mushroom itself looks a lot different too.

I never chrono'ed the 300 gr XTP but that was my 1st load I developed, it was with 90 grs of BH 209.... Very accurate.

My buddy killed all of his deer with that load (7 deer total) He never had a recovery of a bullet - pass through every time. But he did say massive energy transfer by the way the hits looked. The deer would just walk drunkenly wobbling before falling over dead. He did say the exit holes were definitely bigger than entrance, closer to an inch.

I would think that would be a great bear load. I might run those over the chrono when I test out some other bullets I have next week.

Thanks for the great report! I am shooting this bullet with 100 gr. BH 209. I will use it on mule deer and elk. Looks to be up to the task!

Latest posts

Back