1:24 twist for patched round ball?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Joe

Reaction score
I sent an email to Dixie Gun Works inquiring about their Pedersoli Jaeger gun kits which stated the barrel twist of 1:24.  I asked if it was available in a slow twist, for example 1:66, for patched round balls. 

Here is their response:
We list the recommended ball for these as a patched round ball.  These are 1
in 24" twist.
DGW

I know my investarm .58 cal with a 1:48 does just fine with a patch round ball but I thought the 1:24 was too fast.

Any thoughts out there from the "round ball" experts?

It may work with small powder charges. 

i've got decent accuracy with a 1:32 twist barrel and 70 grains of Pyrodex.   But a couple 1:28 guns  were not accurate with  70 grains of powder.

Thanks guys, I just think they have it listed wrong.  Pedersoli does have a target Jaeger with a little longer barrel with a 1:65.

Jaeger rifles normally fired very heavy conicals. I don't think that 1:24 twist is going to be of much use.

Not sure if the Jaeger is deep or shallow groove Muley.  I seen the rifle, I like the looks and made an inquiry as to the twist rate.  I found out since that Pedersoli has the "hunter" version with 1:24 twist (28") and a "target" version with 1:65 twist (32 5/16").  I was surprised with Dixie Gun Works's answer regarding twist rate and Patched round ball recommendations.  I was doing a little window snooping at nice flintlocks for patched round ball shooting.  I'm not interested in shooting conical bullets in a flintlock.  I have an Encore and an Omega for that.  :D
Here's the rifle I was asking about:
Jaeger%201_zpsdvrmkfn5.gif

It does seem strange they'd say it's for a PRB. Especially, if it's the hunter version that takes a heavier powder load. It sure sounds like a conical barrel.

Back