1 of my best Open sight Groups

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I had another round this morning with my little 1:30 Twist ‘Hotrod Hawken’ This morning i wanted to test my big Wide Meplat PP Bullet at a true 100 yards, while i was at it I decided to test a Group of Edmehlig’s Lyman Gould Hollow Point bullets at the same 100 Yards, Ed’s Gould shot VERY well for me at 50-60 Yards a short while back

Here is my bench setup, Target is on the far bank, it is 103 yards to be exact from my Muzzle according to my Leica 1600 Rangefinder
DLcVwNq.jpg

Pic of my test bullets, and OP wads
EyiKAix.jpg

First up was my Big Wide Meplat PP Bullets, i taped over yesterdays holes from the Big BACO Bullets, I didn’t think these would fly in the same spot? But they sure enough did. I can’t explain what happened here? 2 together low, and 3 together higher? The only thing i can figure is i changed my Sight picture somehow? These bullets shot EXTREMELY well at close range (50-60 yards) this was my first 100 yard test with these that i can remember? I am confident they are gonna shoot well, next outing with these i am gonna do away with the Wool wad and stay with the .060 Vege Fibre ONLY, Same as my close up group with these that shot so well. The 2 holes on the edge of the white i have circled are from the Big BACO bullets yesterday
xAhdjg6.jpg

And here’s the kicker! Ed’s Lyman Gould Hollow point, I screwed up on My first loading and forgot my wool OP Wad so i shot at a clay pigeon chip on the bank instead of putting it on my target (My experience with Vege Wads and GG bullets are not that great, i use a Vege wad on the powder, then a Wool on top of the Vege Wad. These Gould Bullets of Ed’s FLAT OUT shoot!! Wicked accurate bullets!! I have shot 1 other Group with Open Sights that was this good at 100 yards, And those bullets were BACO .444-400s (Bullets i shoot to 500 yards in this same Rifle) Ed’s Lyman Gould is a BIG WINNER in my .45 Cal LRH
7lqw6cP.jpg

No offense Lewis, but your pictures with all that brown and dirt suck. I had that yesterday. Today I have this.

Zx4e2m0.jpg

This picture was taken thru a window. The white is heavy and wet. And it ain't done yet. I have resolved myself to let the guy that put it here take it away this time. I keep myself busy playing with my new toy and they wiping the finger prints off it. While I generally love this time of year, I hate snow and would be much happier with thunder storms....they don't require a shovel or blower and the thunder helps break up the ground frost.....of which we have plenty this spring.

Tom, it’s not all peachy here yet either, it has snowed here for 2 days off n on, it is finally gone here in town for the most part, here is just a few miles out of town about 200 ft more elevation is all, i shoot long range here, hard to find places around here to do this

As you can see the Snow is stil about 2ft deep, Note my shovel, I had to dig a spot out to sit my chair in. My target is WAAAAY over on that Far hillside, what a PITA getting over there falling through the snow! :lol:
EqGTzoB.jpg

Good there!
If you take Whitworth's 530gr 1:20 twist and do the correlation to a 1:30 - the bullet weight will comes out 353gr.. I don't think anything needs to be exact - but it gives a close starting point.

52Bore said:
Good there!
If you take Whitworth's 530gr 1:20 twist and do the correlation to a 1:30 - the bullet weight will comes out 353gr.. I don't think anything needs to be exact - but it gives a close starting point.

Rick, Do you remember the exact Modification you made to the Pin/Pins on this Gould Mold of Ed’s? Whatever you did? You NAILED it! I would ABSOLUTELY love to have one just like it!! I have always felt that a Hollow point bullet of any type wasn’t the best choice for Game? But i am going off of nothing more than thought? I have ZERO experience killing Game with a Hollow point bullet. I have seen a few of your Guy’s pics, and it’s obvious they did the job well! This is definitely one of the most accurate bullets i have ever shot, SUPER IMPRESSED with it! And what a cool bit of history behind it :yeah:

Same as all the other HP I've made - no rocket science..
HP diameter and depth are only needed dimension.
Have you shot the solid?

Ron and I tested HP diameter in a 50cal 475gr at reduced speed 940fps I recall, (look at his 50grW/35grV test). You'll notice the HP diameter makes a difference in his test at this speed.
70gr Swiss 3F pushed my 475gr at 1268fps - 940fps occurs over 300 yds.

Attachments

• 50 475 1 2 3 .JPG
    50 475 1 2 3 .JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 171
I’ve always wanted to buy this mold, but keep talking myself out of it. I don’t really want spend all that money on a mold to find out the bullet doesn’t shoot well for me.

I’ve wanted to try them in sabot in my .50 Omega now that I see they shoot well out of a .45 LRH barrel they are even more intriguing.

Jackalope said:
I’ve always wanted to buy this mold, but keep talking myself out of it. I don’t really want spend all that money on a mold to find out the bullet doesn’t shoot well for me.

I’ve wanted to try them in sabot in my .50 Omega now that I see they shoot well out of a .45 LRH barrel they are even more intriguing.

You wouldn’t be disappointed with this bullet!!

52Bore said:
Same as all the other HP I've made - no rocket science..
HP diameter and depth are only needed dimension.
Have you shot the solid?

Ron and I tested HP diameter in a 50cal 475gr at reduced speed 940fps I recall, (look at his 50grW/35grV test). You'll notice the HP diameter makes a difference in his test at this speed.
70gr Swiss 3F pushed my 475gr at 1268fps - 940fps occurs over 300 yds.

I haven’t shot the solid version, but would REALLY like to! Ed’s Bullet looks to me like the middle bullet in your photo? Interesting on Ron’s testing :yeah:

What are they thinking? I bet you'll get some variation in HP depth (and bullet weight) with that.
Simplest thing looks to be; turn the shoulder on the bottom screw down (to thickness of E-clip) that holds the pin from falling.

Latest posts

Back