... 1 sept range report ........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer1

Reaction score
:)

Todays range report is some what disappointing for me. I thought the drop wouldn't be as bad as it was and the weather wasn't what the forecaster predicted....... Heres the pics :!:

Top left is the 13" drop at 200 yards. I weasured from the center of the bull to the lowest bullet hole.
Top right are the 2 bullets with smooth sabots. Bottom left are the 2 bullets with the crushed sabots.
Botton right speaks for itself. Draw your own conclusion on that one. ( I didn't bother to shoot at the 50 becasue I thought 100 would be better to see if the further, the better judge.......)
The day was overcast and misty. Head wind that I didn't think would effect the bullets at the 100/200 but might have.
Seems like the crushed sabots get my vote. At least for this coming season. As far as the weighted/measured target goes......All I did there was fill the measurer to 110 grains and filled my tubes.
Bullet choice is still a toss up but I'll be using Harvester crushed sabots, 78 grains Blackhor 209 weighed and Fiocchi Primers to hunt with this year. Those 275 gr Parker Ballictic Extremes do look better and better every time I shoot them at the range.
I shot those targets without swabbing the barrel. (24 shots and pulled the B/P 3 times to clear it of carbon build up). I used last hunting seasons Blackhorn. No misses or Hangs...............

Ray........( No more tests for me. All my shooting will be done from my STONEY POINT shooting stix. No more bench rest).
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE AND HAVE A GREAT HUNTING SEASON :!: :!:  :!:

That's about the drop I get at 200yds too Ray, if you had a 100yd zero. 150yd zero is a better compromise if you're going to shoot to 200yds. A BDC scope is better yet.

Interesting on the weighed/measured targets. It looks like weighed has the edge.

Did you purchase those Pt's from Carlos? I bought some but havn't tried them yet. I only hope they do as well for me. If the drop was a concern check out a Leupold CDS scope. Makes life very easy with a turn of a dial.

:D

Pete,
My rifle is zeroed in at 100. I'm going to leave it there. I know its dead on out to 130 yards. The last 5 deer I've taken were all under 100 yards. :cheers: It is interesting Pete. Thats for sure.........

jaybez, I did get those from Carlos. If you check out the range report from 18 AUG you'll see tighter groups with those PT GOLD'S.
Any deer out there beyond 130 yards has nothing to fear from me. The closer the better.

Ray.......... ;)

OK, Ray let us take this range report from today and learn from it. First I will say from looking at your groups that the PT GOLD'S shot and grouped better than the PAKERS, so what that tells me and you you should use them this year. As far as the 200 yrds target goes, yes you will have a lot a drop at that distance and you need to compensate for it, so it your POA was the red dot at the center of the bull, from what I can see where your group hit you need to have your POA at the top of the target where that little hole is, and it should put you right in there. I don't want you to give up yet, try it one more time and you the POA I just told you and you see a difference. I know you can do it buddy, there is no doubt in my mind what so ever. Give it one more shot. :twisted: 8)
Carlos

If I measure the screen. It looks like his hold should be up on top of the board. Put something on the screen Carlos. 14" is a lot.

Muley said:
If I measure the screen. It looks like his hold should be up on top of the board. Put something on the screen Carlos. 14" is a lot.
I know 14" is a lot, but I was just trying to get him in the black going from his closer hole to the bull, once I get him there is a piece of cake. Plus I don't really know was his POA was until he answers back to me.
Carlos

:D

Carlos,
My POA was the bull. I just wanted to see how much of a drop those 2 bullets had. Thats why I put those targets at the top of the target frame. I do know for a fact that my POA is dead on out to 130 yards. Check out the range report from 8-18 and you'll see that from 25, 50 and 100 those groups are touching. At the 130 yard range my POA is dead on those pretty yellow plates. You can see exactly where your bullets makes contact.

Ray....... ;)

Ok, that will work Carlos. I ignored the high shot. It wasn't consistent with the others, but getting on the paper first will help.

13" drop? Now i dont feel so bad about using conicals LOL

Great shooting Hawg! I to think you should give those Harvesters a try this year and report back on them. I tested them and loved the outcome.

Latest posts

Back