New member from Missouri

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, I am not a big hunter, but my oldest son (14 years old) got into hunting last year. We went on a few Missouri Conservation mentored youth hunts designed for just this scenario, to get youth into hunting when the parents are not hunters. I sat in the blinds with him and the mentor for a turkey season and a deer season on Missouri Conservation land restricted for education (not open to the public). We called a gobbler in but it never got within range. Deer season was more lucky and my son shot an 85lb doe from about 35 yards away with a 270. He got a very good shot on her and she dropped immediately. They did the first cut then talked us through field dressing the dear so we learned, then they taught us how to skin and quarter the deer for easier transport. I was not prepared for the size of the exit wound and the devastation that round caused internally, it went through the top of the heart. I was very impressed with our conservation department because I heard many states don't have programs like this. It was completely free as well except you had to provide your own ammo. They would even loan you a rifle and shotgun if you didn't have one. The day before the deer hunt, the youth had to go through the hunters education safety course so that is out of the way for them for life.

My son loved the deer hunt but the youth and adult seasons were over by Christmas. We got him a low end muzzleloader (Traditions buckstalker xl .50 cal) so he could hunt in the upcoming alternative firearms season. I bought a starter kit for the rifle and quickly learned to get a range rod and bullet starter :). I read the documentation and learned how important it is to keep the barrel clean for accuracy so we cleaned the barrel per instructions between every shot and used a gun sight in stand. We used "seasoned" patches that came from our gun manufacturer, but I've been reading a combination of alchohol and other cleaners are good, will need to try those. Our first trip to the range we got it zeroed in at 25 yards. The 2nd trip to the range we got it zeroed in at 50 yards (3 inch grouping) and got some shots out to 100 yards. The groupings at 100 yards were not great, 12 inches. This is where I learned not all bullets are created equal. We were still using bullets that came in the starter kit. I ended up purchasing traditions smackdown carnivore bullets and the grouping got to within 7 inches. The powder was 777 50/50 pellets - we used 2 pellets and the primers were Winchester 209 777.

We got a few days of alternative season hunting in, but unfortunately, didn't harvest a deer. He got a bead on a big doe, but there was a road direclty behind her. He saw another doe, but there were structures behind her. We spooked her as we tried to swing around and come from the other angle, putting the woods behind her.

Now that it's the off season, we are playing more with powders and bullet combinations. I watched a lot of bullet / power combo reviews and bought some blackhorn 209 (the rifle supports bh209) to try with CCI 209M primers and Horandy bore driver FTX bullets.

Sorry for the winded new member post, I'm sure I will get a few questions out there as we try these new combos. Thanks for having me!

Impalanator

Sounds to me like you are doing just what all of us do. Start at point a then experiment along the way to improve our shooting. Think you will do well here and glad to have you.

The pellets are convenient but you are headed in the right direction. Most of the time a gun needs measured powder to get the best accuracy. You and others refer to the Buckstalker as a low end muzzle loader. Ive never owned one but have owned the CVA Wolf. A similar type muzzle loader. With either rifle, correct powder, primer, and projectile, I can kill anything on the planet.

Last edited:
Welcome from Illinois.. is the rifle scoped or open sight? But it sounds like you are doing everything right as Snapbang said, you start on A then progress from there. Those bore drivers seem to very forgiving for many shooters. They group well but not tight enough for some so will be a good projectile I think for you. Loose powder is the true equalizer to tight groups. Just please pay attention to your quantities, weight vs volume. Mark your ramrod so you can be sure you're not double loaded!!! Very important đź‘Ź Congratulations on your journey with your son. He will remember this forever as will you.

Sounds to me like you are doing just what all of us do. Start at point a then experiment along the way to improve out shooting. Think you will do well here and glad to have you.

The pellets are convenient but you are headed in the right direction. Most of the time a gun needs measured powder to get the best accuracy. You and others refer to the Buckstalker as a low end muzzle loader. Ive never owned one but have owned the CVA Wolf. A similar type muzzle loader. With either rifle, correct powder, primer, and projectile, I can kill anything on the planet.
That's a good point, I should say is a low cost muzzleloader, not low end. It came with a scope boresighted to 25 yards and was $40 off at Basspro so I only paid $320 for it. Not bad

Welcome from Illinois.. is the rifle scoped or open sight? But it sounds like you are doing everything right as Snapbang said, you start on A then progress from there. Those bore drivers seem to very forgiving for many shooters. They group well but not tight enough for some so will be a good projectile I think for you. Loose powder is the true equalizer to tight groups. Just please pay attention to your quantities, weight vs volume. Mark your ramrod so you can be sure you're not double loaded!!! Very important đź‘Ź Congratulations on your journey with your son. He will remember this forever as will you.
The rifle came with a 3-9x40 scope bore sighed to 25 yards (they did a good job on the bore sighting at the factory, it was close). In Missouri I think we will be happy at 100 yards. The rifle manufacture says this one is "Accurate up to 200+ yards," so we may play around that that distance when we're comfortable at 100. I'm excited to try loose powder. I started reloading .38 spl when it was impossible to come by during the pandemic, so I have a nice scale and will be charging by weight instead of volume. I read the Bh209 load data and got the conversion down where I have to multiply grains by volume by .7 to get grains by weight. Going to start off with 70 gr by weight and see how that does. I got a pack of 20 load tubes for the powder. The boredrivers I got are 290 gr.

We read the manual and it actually told us to take a blade and mark the ramrod, so we did that one.

Thanks for the welcome!

I forgot to ask, do you have recommendations on tighter grouping bullets? I might as well through those in while we are testing :)

I forgot to ask, do you have recommendations on tighter grouping bullets? I might as well through those in while we are testing :)

Every rifle has a unique palate. So you'll have to experiment. But do a search in here and you'll find a hundred good options. But, most start with 240-250 hornady's, most any barnes or fury projectile. I believe you have a 1-28 twist which tend to favor lighter projectile. But any of those in a black harvester crush rib sabot should group well for you.

Back