#11 or musket caps?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hassler

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a difference in performance /fps using musket caps instead on #11 caps? I am working up a black powder load for my inline, and I have nipples for both.

if yer using blackpowder the #11 caps will work just fine. #11 caps are easier to find . . . in my experience, there arent as many places that carry the musket caps anymore

#11 vs Musket caps

I have noticed a slight mv increase with musket caps (10-30 fps). Not a big difference; however I use Pyrodex and it seems (my perception) to be a faster ignition but I clearly state its a perception. Real reason I went to musket caps is they provide more spark and are more water-resistant; noticed this after a couple weekends of rainy hunts-the #11 caps either didn't ignite or I had hangfires. I also tried the CCI Magnum #11 caps and they had more spark than the regular #11. Walmart was dumping MC for 50 cents/100 so I got more than enough for my lifetime.

If you use the RWS 1075 #11 caps you won't have any misfires. I used them in early years I started into muzzleloading and now use them in the White S91, still no misfires if I do my part and keep the channel clear.

Latest posts

Back