CCI Musket caps

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
I found a store in the Traverse City area that always has musket caps. So I bought a few tins and swap a couple of musket nipples around my Knight plungers as needed. I have never had a misfire and the charge always seems to be quite vigorous. As I look through other suppliers for #11 caps I notice the musket caps do not get a good rating. This puzzles me. Anyone have trouble with these?????

I see that some of the CCI 301s are marked “for reenactment use” and some are marked “multiple use.” Not sure if there is a difference. I have a few tins as backup but haven’t used them. I have read comments about the CCIs being low(er) powered.

The "for reenactment" are much weaker than the standard cap, suitable for a "pop" at the reenactment but not for reliably setting off a charge.

I’ve used both with no problems only with Goex powder,
Can’t say if it will work for subs powder.
Just make sure the flash hole is open.

For years I used the musket caps with Pyrodex RS in my T/C Thunderhawk. They always worked super well. Then they became impossible to locate. I switched back to #11 caps. I would definitely go back to musket caps if they were available. They always went boom!

For years I used the musket caps with Pyrodex RS in my T/C Thunderhawk. They always worked super well. Then they became impossible to locate. I switched back to #11 caps. I would definitely go back to musket caps if they were available. They always went boom!
Yeah, they work well for me too. That's why I was wondering about the less than stellar ratings. I may be wrong but I think they have more smack than a #11. All I have to do is swap a nipple out with my Knight plungers and their good to go for the musket cap. Next time to Traverse City I may pick up several tins and forget the #11s.

Back