14' fixer upper

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
My friend bought this last year and brought it down here for us to work on. The day before yesterday we tore out everything, including the old wood seats, went to pueblo yesterday, bought all new supplies and parts we needed, along with a 4x8 sheet of marine plywood and cut/fitted new wood in place and got everything screwed back together. No leaks at the lake today. The motor ran for about 15-20 seconds before giving up and not restarting, so its off to get a new fuel pump and carb rebuild kit. It ran great at the house, but with the bumpy roads, I think it knocked some dirt loose in the carb and plugged it. Its snowing now, so it will be a few days before we can set up a water tank and start it to see whats going on. I kind of figured the carb would need rebuilt as the motor didnt seem to have full power, but you know how it is with new toys. Rush rush rush and then go home defeated :lol!:
56848010.jpg

56664510.jpg

57176810.jpg

:face: Now that's original.... an umbrella for the sun.   How does it hold-up to gusty wind  :?:
I've thought about a bimini top for my 16 footer, but they are expensive $$$.  Not sure if a bimini would be useful, or more trouble :roll: than it's worth to take on or off.

We havent set it up, but I plan on drilling and putting in a pin that you can quickly detach.

Took it to the lake last wednesday and she wouldnt run. Horrible 40mph winds which alone made it a bad day.

I pulled the plugs this morning, cleaned and dried them, put them in and boom! started on the first pull and died out after a little while.

I found that some carb linkage had some real nasty stuff on it and was making them stop up. I cleaned them, tightened the carb bolts, and she started right up.

I also found the linkage to control the motor rpm and adjusted that to where she has some balls behind her now. I think this was causing it not to start, lack of fuel.

I ran it for a good 45 minutes, spraying with carb cleaner into the throat every now and then to help loosen/flush anything through the system.

Ended up putting a small amount of seafoam into the fuel as well in hopes it will clean anything out.

She purrs nicely now.

Going to let it sit for a couple hours and she if it restarts.

I had an old Eska 7.5 hp I got for $50. Would start but wouldn't run. I got a carb kit off Ebay and rebuilt it. Turned out it was missing a part and the needed part was in the kit. Cleaned and rebuilt the carb and the old girl ran like lion with it's tail on fire. Two strokes are wonderfully simple and powerful engines.Very reliable when maintained proper as well.

Firestick said:
I had an old Eska 7.5 hp I got for $50. Would start but wouldn't run. I got a carb kit off Ebay and rebuilt it. Turned out it was missing a part and the needed part was in the kit. Cleaned and rebuilt the carb and the old girl ran like lion with it's tail on fire. Two strokes are wonderfully simple and powerful engines.Very reliable when maintained proper as well.
Right-on with two strokers.  A lost breed now, but hard to kill and usually worth restoring.

Latest posts

Back