150yard ready!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Just finished taking 5 shots at 150 yards off my shooting sticks and the CVA Optima. 348gr HP Powerbelt, 80gr RS and a Winchester W209.

Shot #3 did exactly what it did to me at 100 yards even with a 5 minute cool down. #4 and #5 hit perfect so it looks like its just one of those odd ball things that happens and i can live with it.

#1 and #2 were perfect!

How low do you think this will be at 200 yards? I am sighted about 3 - 3 1/2" @ 100.

Red dots are where shots 4 and 5 hit. I didnt feel like running back down again for a pic. #5 i aimed maybe an inch low of the bulls eye.

Im happy with it so far and i dont think an elk will appreciate the load, so now all i need is an elk to come by.
Optima-150yrds.jpg

These targets suck by the way. I prefer the green as it stands out a lot better when the bullet hits.

Got out today at 150 yards again and finally got my tightest group of just under 1 1/2" group for 3 shots. Have to learn how to control my breathing and i will be all set and ready to go.

Recovered some bullets from my trap and might kick up the powder charge to 90gr RS and see what the groups do with that but i am pretty much set and ready for novembers elk.

FG,

I can't say for sure but based on your info my calculator shows you should be around 12 to 15 inches low at 200 yards at 6500 feet altitude. Energy should be right at 1000 fp at that range also. Give it a try and confirm but you should be close to those numbers. Good luck on your hunt.

Are you shooting open sights or with a scope? Those powerbelts are doing a good job for that distance.

Scoped.

I'll talk to a neighbor and see if he'll let me set up a 200 yard range so i can find out where i am hitting at that range.

I can 12-15 inches as that will allow me just to put the cross hairs a few inches over an elks back at 200.

Powerbelts

Are you residing in a state where conical type of bullets are the law? :?:

Update: I just googled CO. That whole conical thing sux. Sorry dude.

i can use a sabot during rifle season,but i shoot powerbelts as they are in my blood :lol: Or you can call it a stubborn streak.

Fixed the #3 problem! Switched to a CCI 209M primer and all 3 shots grouped perfectly!

The only thing now, its hitting 9" high @ 100 yards VS 3 1/2" where it was originally hitting with the Win. W209.

Going back out to dial in the scope again.

frontier gander said:
Fixed the #3 problem! Switched to a CCI 209M primer and all 3 shots grouped perfectly!

The only thing now, its hitting 9" high @ 100 yards VS 3 1/2" where it was originally hitting with the Win. W209.

Going back out to dial in the scope again.

:shock:

Maybe I should try the CCI 209M 8)

10 clicks down dropped it right where it needed to be. A couple clicks to the left and i am dead center and ready!

I was surprised by that much of a difference with the primer too lane. They did that in my omega too but no where near that kind of height.

I was surprised by that much of a difference with the primer too lane. They did that in my omega too but no where near that kind of height.

It sure would be interesting to chronograph that load with the two different primers to see what's going on.

I agree.

I did notice however the the fouling in the bore seems to be a lot less than when i used the kleanbores and W209s.

Dont have any 777s left so maybe i will pick up a package before the season starts.

Tomorrow i will take the rifle back out again with the cci 209m and see how it holds up.

Lets start at the top. Those 3 shots shots were from yesterday, when i switched over to the cci 209m primer. Originally was 3 1/2 high with w209 primers but once i switched over to the cci's it went up for a total of 7 3/4"

next 3 shows down in a horizontal group were after 10 clicks down and right where i wanted it.

Now we have 3 shots today with the CCI which were perfect! #1 shot on an oil bore blew the group! #2 and #3 shots were in the same hole as you can see. That's a first for this rifle,with powerbelts @ 100 yards! Thanks to shot #1, its a 2 1/4" group from center to center. I am not going to complain as #2-3 shows me what it can do.

Next time i try this i am not going to oil the bore and see what it does.

Picture020.jpg

Nice shooting! All these guns need is a little tweaking, to shoot some great groups.

Was playin around late one night and found a stash of pellets for my nephews pellet gun.

Surprised me when i found that they fit into the Hollow Point Powerbelt perfectly and after shooting into my sand trap, they did exactly what i was hoping they would. The center of the bullets after impacting the Dry sand, held twice the thickness in the center just by filling in that HP with a lead pellet :lol:

The Flat Points grouped the best so i am set and ready to go!
PelletTests.jpg

Back