1858 Remington New Army Functions Problem(s)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I completely disassembled my 1858 after going to the range last week. I cleaned it, oiled it, and left it with the parts in a plastic container lined with a towel. It got late on me and I was tired, so I didn’t reassemble it that night, but it was dry and lubed after a good cleaning. When I went to reassemble it over the weekend, everything went back together like clock work until I performed a functions check. It would not lock in at half-cock, only at full-cock. So I completely dissembled ot and reassembled it several times, but the same results. I have spare parts on hand, and immediately I thought it was the hand spring, so I replaced it with a new spare, still the same results. So now I’m thinking it’s the main spring, so I disassemble it again and replace the main spring…..still the same results after another functions check. It will not click into half~cock, only full-cock, and the hammer won’t release when pressing the trigger. I have to force the hammer back down. Does anyone have a clue what the problem could be?

You might have a little piece of cap stuck somewhere?
Hmmm. I took it completely apart. Soaked in in a mixture of soap and hot water with some ballistol in it. Then I reassembled it. I just took it apart and lubed everything real good and assembled it back. Now it will go into half-cock and full-cock, but half-cock is nearly as far back as full-cock. I still have to force the trigger forward with a little nudge.

Hmmm. I took it completely apart. Soaked in in a mixture of soap and hot water with some ballistol in it. Then I reassembled it. I just took it apart and lubed everything real good and assembled it back. Now it will go into half-cock and full-cock, but half-cock is nearly as far back as full-cock. I still have to force the trigger forward with a little nudge.
You have taken the trigger assembly out of the gun? If so, maybe recheck the re-assembly. I took one apart a few years ago. It was kind of a pain putting it all back. Under the hand grips there a spring. I can't remember what that does.
I can't imagine what could wrong exactly. A broken part or something loose maybe?

You have taken the trigger assembly out of the gun? If so, maybe recheck the re-assembly. I took one apart a few years ago. It was kind of a pain putting it all back. Under the hand grips there a spring. I can't remember what that does.
I can't imagine what could wrong exactly. A broken part or something loose maybe?
Yes, I took it completely apart. The Pietta Remmingtons are simple to disassemble and put back together. I sprayed all the internal parts with ballistol. Lubricated them down good. It seems to be working better, so maybe there was more fouling in there than I thought.

Under the grips is the main spring. It does control the hammer. I put a new one in it. I had a spare here at the house.

Yes, I took it completely apart. The Pietta Remmingtons are simple to disassemble and put back together. I sprayed all the internal parts with ballistol. Lubricated them down good. It seems to be working better, so maybe there was more fouling in there than I thought.
Maybe so, sometime it doesn't take much. Sounds like you have it solved.

There are subtle but critical differences in most if not all BP revolvers. Youtube vids by such as the "old ranger", "blackie thomas" to name a few of the many are informative with regard to some of the nuisances.

Latest posts

Back