1X Scopes on Primitive Season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you state has a "Primitive" season, does it allow 1X scopes?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I am curious about what states allow unmagnified scopes. I missed by point of aim by a couple of inches with iron sights and think I would not have missed with an unmaginified scope. I will work on my iron sight precision, but the deer would have died a better death had an unmaginified scope been allowed. I get though that this can be a slippery slope...

I don't hunt a "primative" season so I won't vote but I do feel that "primative" should mean exactly that and not allow scopes and no exceptions. I also feel that the "primative weapon cannot use any sort of add-on to accept a 209 primer and that T7 is the strongest sub that can be used. Absolutely no BH209 powder.

Everyone can’t have everything. That’s OK. If you can have success within the constraints of a primitive arms season, count yourself lucky and enjoy the fruits of your labor. If not, well maybe next year.

I am curious about what states allow unmagnified scopes.

South Dakota requires iron sights or unmagnified optics during muzzle loader season. Myself i cannot focus on the front sight, therefore must use a One Power scope. One Power scopes are frustrating, but are better than looking at a blurry front sight.

For me practice is necessary to use the One Power scope. Practice is good.

My muzzle loaders are sighted in at 75 yard using the One Power scope. Furthest kill was out at 155 yard, which couldn't have been done without practice.

I’d say you first need to define primitive vs muzzleloader season.

A primitive or heritage season by definition normally does not allow scopes of any nature. They’re normally hunts restricted to traditional (sidelock) weapons and traditional sights, sometimes even traditional projectiles and/or powders, not inlines.

“Muzzleloader” seasons on the other hand typically run the gamut of sight, weapon and projectile choices. These are not considered primitive hunts by most (except rifle hunters and black gun users. 🤣).

Latest posts

Back