(2) 10 oz. containers of Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How so?
120gr of BH209 by volume will get a 250gr bullet going 2100fps+
With the small amount I’ve harvested from nitro fire stick, I get about 2200fps with the fed 270 bor lock and a max charge of by 209- the 100 grain charge was really close @2150 with triple 8 and the 120 grain charge was beating it push it to basically 2300fps out of a 30in tube. I’m kind of nervous to To test it with heavy lead since I have zero clue with what the pressure curve looks like with T8. But again it’s definitely dirtier stuff.

Oh 209bh has must better sd and Es but this could be due to me harvesting what was a pellet and messing with it. your mileage may vary on the loose stuff if it ever comes to market.

So you are saying you got a Firestick compatible rifle with a 30" barrel and you have shot 888 loose?

What rifle would that be because the Nitrofire is a 26" barrel? Im not aware of any other rifle at this time.

You realize if i shot BH209 with what is often called Direct Ignition i will see about a 100-150fps increase also. The Firestick for all intents is "Direct Ignition".

Last edited:
So you are saying you got a Firestick compatible rifle with a 30" barrel and you have shot 888 loose?

What rifle would that be because the Nitrofire is a 26" barrel? Im not aware of any other rifle at this time.

You realize if i shot BH209 with what is often called Direct Ignition i will see about a 100-150fps increase also. The Firestick for all intents is "Direct Ignition".
I’ve physically cut open a fire stick and used the powder in the fire stick in a normal muzzle loader.

How much did the powder weigh and come out to in volume?
I did- the 100 grain fire sticks charges weighted 90.1 (grains) on average and the 120 grain charge weight was 107.1. - I think they add something to bond it together because they are a pellet-ish and they are not loose. They are really hard to cut open cleanly- I had to slowly cut them with a jewelers saw to get a clean cut.

Wow, 107gr by weight and 120grV of BH209 would weigh 20% less (or more) to get about the same FPS. 105gr by weight of BH209 flat out stomps that speed in rifles like the Paramount and upgraded RUMLs or customs.

Pretty sure we have a UML owner here that shot some boomer loads of BH209 in his rifle. Wakeman did a rather extensive review using loads not approved by Remington with the OEM ignition system. You said you felt 888 was more energetic but when measured by weight im not seeing it. Hopefully Encore50 can chime in with his chrono data.

They look something like this from a 26" RUML barrel. Roughly a 24.5-25" working bore.
RemUlt110grBH209Parker.jpg

Pretty sure we have a UML owner here that shot some boomer loads of BH209 in his rifle. Wakeman did a rather extensive review using loads not approved by Remington with the OEM ignition system. You said you felt 888 was more energetic but when measured by weight im not seeing it. Hopefully Encore50 can chime in with his chrono data.

They look something like this from a 26" RUML barrel. Roughly a 24.5-25" working bore.
RemUlt110grBH209Parker.jpg

Is 888 a smokeless powder?

Wow, 107gr by weight and 120grV of BH209 would weigh 20% less (or more) to get about the same FPS. 105gr by weight of BH209 flat out stomps that speed in rifles like the Paramount and upgraded RUMLs or customs.
105gr W BH 209 in my paramount with the ELR 280gr my avg MV was nearly 2400fps. The 275gr Fury bullets are right at 2500fps

Hard to compare 45cal speeds to a 50cal though. You will get a little more from 45cal bore riders because it makes more peak. Drop that same load in a 40cal and peak goes up even more. 40cal 250gr sabotless BH209 loads are screamers even with just 120gr by volume. IIRC Doug said he got over 2300fps with a 250gr 40cal sabotless with just 120grV.

Scott, I am curious - who owns the rights to the Fire stick/powder - Federal or Hodgdon?

Last edited:
Oh 209bh has must better sd and Es but this could be due to me harvesting what was a pellet and messing with it. your mileage may vary on the loose stuff if it ever comes to market.

If you take a pellet and break it up in any way it is going to increase the surface area, and probably also the burn rate.

Since this is probably some form of smokeless powder, could this create a higher pressure ? Please be careful with unknown pressures.

Scott, I am curious - who owns the rights to the Fire stick/powder - Federal or Hodgdon?

Federal on the actual FireStick and Hodgdon on the Triple8 powder. Sofar i have not dug too deep for new patents but i did not see one from Hodgdon. All of theirs are old from just a quick look. Stuff like patent/trademark searches are a great way to dig up info that is otherwise not easy to find. Sooner or later SDS, patent and trademark will all have to be available. Kinda makes me wonder why they got the rights to BH209 at this time. BH209 is an approved sub in pretty much any state that allows inlines even if they dont allow smokeless. New Mexico and Florida as examples. Something like a Firestick with a non appoved "sub" wont be easy to pass under the radar.

Federal on the actual FireStick and Hodgdon on the Triple8 powder. Sofar i have not dug too deep for new patents but i did not see one from Hodgdon. All of theirs are old from just a quick look. Stuff like patent/trademark searches are a great way to dig up info that is otherwise not easy to find. Sooner or later SDS, patent and trademark will all have to be available. Kinda makes me wonder why they got the rights to BH209 at this time. BH209 is an approved sub in pretty much any state that allows inlines even if they dont allow smokeless. New Mexico and Florida as examples. Something like a Firestick with a non appoved "sub" wont be easy to pass under the radar.
I'm in Fl. You sure got that right. I cant stop shakin my head at how some things are down here.

Latest posts

Back