200 grain bullets for deer?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armedruby

Reaction score
Just bought a new Encore and I went looking for various bullets to try in it. I haven't bought bullets for a ML in a few years. Last few times I bought I picked up some Knight red hots (245 or 255 grains, can't remember). At any rate, in my favorite stand, I'd like to be able to shoot accurately 200 yds (or maybe a hair more) and still have enough ft lbs to kill humanely. So one of the bullets I bought is a 200 gr Shockwave. But then I got to thinking, most ML bullets are 250 grains plus. I was planning on 150 grs of 777 to get the most range...and a light bullet. Anyone have any experience with these 'light' bullets and deer hunting?

It's a 50 cal.

armedruby

The 200 SW will do all you have described...

muzzle vel 2450 fpe 2666

200 yard vel 1884 fpe 1577

or thereabouts....

Sabotloader - thanks for the info. You whipped that out fast. You have ballistic tables for Shockwaves or a link to some for this load? Curious to know how high I need to be at 100yds to be on at 200 yds.

armedruby

This is for a 150 grain load of T7...

But as you look at it - realize I set the table to a 6" point blank range... that allows me to be no more than 3" high or 3" low out the the ) range allowing me to aim dead on through that distance... If you need a clean one with 100 yard zero let me know...

10mm200SW.jpg

My crew has been using the 200 gr T/C shockwave for several years in our Encores and Pro Hunters.

The powder charges used are 90.0, 95.0 100.0, 105.0 and 110.0 of 777 loose powder in 5 different rifles. Bullet performance has been 100% and all deer have fallen with-in 50 yards.

The 200 grain shockwave has 4" less drop at 200 yards than the comparable 250gr shockwave even at the 95.0 charge of 777 loose powder.

Chocdog

Thanks everyone! I'm going to start with the 200 gr bullet. I'm going to sight in 3 inches high at 100 yds and start with 150 grains of 777 pellets. If I can't get that to pattern well, I'll back off to 100 grains of 777 pellets.

I'll try lose powder when I have more time to really play with this thing.

The last ML season in Arkansas starts this weekend. Got my scope mounted last night. I'll sight in/practice Friday. Head to the camp Friday night. I'll update this thread if successful.

200 grain TC Shockwaves

I've taken 2 deer this season using 200gr TC Shockwaves with either a 100gr of Pyrodex or T7 pellets. Sighted my CVA Optima .50 cal with this load at 100yds and had it zero(d) in with about 12 shots. A week later I took a doe, a month after that I took a small buck. Based on my experience with the TC 200gr shockwaves and this load, I think they're highly effective. Good luck to ya'.

Why is it that the 200gr holds together better than the 250gr? Reason I am asking is maybe I will go back to the 200 instead of going to the 250gr bonded. I want a bullet that will hold together and do its job from 20yds to 200yds.

Back