2006 isnt starting the way i like it.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
I took my new Savage to the range today. I took several kinds of bullets.

40/50 260grn Dead Centers
300grn MZ Expanders
250grn XTP'S .452 #45200
250GRN ShockWaves

Boy is this gun a ***** to load. It was easier when the weather was warmer. I cannot load the MZ Expanders in this gun with the supplied sabots. I mean forget it. I need to use the HPH 24'S for this bullet. The 250grn XTP'S are hard to load as well. I need to use Harvester sabots or HPH 24'S with this bullet as well. The Shockwaves were extremely hard as well. The 260 Dead Centers load really nice in this gun.

I cant seem to get this gun back to were it was in October. I remember touching some holes with the 250grn xtp and Harvester sabots. :? My average group size today was like 2 1/2 inches. Nothing special at all. I havent shot many rounds thru this gun yet.

What do you guy's reccomend for a really good bore scrubbing besides Hoppe's? I really think i need to scrub it down good. I was shooting 5744 today to start with. I switched to 4759 with no better results.

I?m using Shooter's Choice as we speak on my HB?.I also use Kroll?s as well?

Grouse said:
Boy is this gun a ***** to load.
Hey Tom, I can sympathize with you on this! My Savage is the same way. I would need a full grown gorilla to seat HPH12's or Barnes Spitfires in my 10ML-II. Just TOO tough and I DO mean TOO tough to seat! I sure don't need to give myself a hernia seating a sabot! I have had real good accuracy and bullet seating is much easier using Harvester long or short sabots, depending on the bullet used. I haven't tried any HPH 24's yet. I need to get some ordered from MMP.

I use Butch's Bore Shine in my Savage if I want to give it a GOOD cleaning!

Hope things come around for you. Maybe you were just having an off day!

The HPH 24'S are good to have around from MMP. I need to just take all my bullets and sabots to the range with me next time. I prefer using MMP'S sabots but sometimes the Harvesters are better for a certain Muzzleloader. I didnt have my HPH 24's with me at the range. :(

Grouse said:
The HPH 24'S are good to have around from MMP.

Well, I just ordered myself a bag of them to try in my Savage to see how they fit. Del does make some fine sabots! I like to use MMP's when I can!

Tom - have you tried and .458/orange sabot loads yet? they load best in my newer MLII- I used the Remington 300gr. HP bullets and have easier loading and great accuracy- the loads I normally use in my pre- accutrigger MLII are very tight in this gun though...Just an Idea...Rick

Tom,My sons Sav. likes.no, loves the HPH24s.He is getting 3/4 in groups at 100yds. I shot my HB while I was there with the 24s, just to see if they would group as well, they did.around 1 in, I did not fine tune the HB.I am sure it will do much better.

i noticed a loading difference in cold weather too but it still shot same POI yet it felt and shot the same ?????? it was 5 degrees out

Tar-12 said:
Tom,My sons Sav. likes.no, loves the HPH24s.He is getting 3/4 in groups at 100yds. I shot my HB while I was there with the 24s, just to see if they would group as well, they did.around 1 in, I did not fine tune the HB.I am sure it will do much better.

My HB is like perfect. It is sighted in right now with the 300grn XTP'S and the MMP short black sabot. The barrel on my HB savage is not as tight as my new one.

Grouse said:
Tar-12 said:

My HB is like perfect. It is sighted in right now with the 300grn XTP'S and the MMP short black sabot. The barrel on my HB savage is not as tight as my new one.
That is excactly what I have my HB dialed in with,also the HPH24s loaded easier in it than the boys. My HB is sighted in with the same fodder you mentioned, it flat puts them in there.I just wanted to see if the 24s would group.I get the feeling once his barrel is throughly broken in,the current groups will probally open up.But right now its working!

Tom,

Maybe it was those January 1, 2006 1:30 AM premeasured Loads! :lol:

Grouse said:
getonit said:
Tom - have you tried and .458/orange sabot loads yet?

No I haven't. Pat Allen gave me some last year and I still have them. I don't know what bullet he gave me with them? :?

It most likely was the Hornady .458 45 CAL 300 GR Hollow Point.

Wow, I am glad I ran into this thread. I too had trouble loading my new HB with loads that were fine in my other MLII. I switched to the HPH 24's and not only can I load it now, it shoots fine! I haven't measured the barrels, but the HB sure does seem a lot tighter with the same load. I am glad I was lucky enough to have and bring the HPH 24's out the first time I shot it! Good to see I am not the only one who has seen this variation. Bottom line is I am very happy with the gun and how it shoots. I am just a little confused as to why. :?

Back