2008 Michigan Buck

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCee67

Reaction score
This is my buck from the second evening of our Michigan gun season (11-16-08). I know it's a bad picture, it was just after dark and taken with my cell phone. I will post some better pictures from my camera when I get the extra time to upload them. As you can see in the picture that the buck's right G3 is broken, and also the left G2 had a small point broken of that also matched the right G2. There is some palmation on the rack as well. If it werent for the broken tines, it would have been very symmetrical. It's still a very nice buck, the picture just isnt very good.
He was shot at 40 yards, I was sitting in a low spot in a cut cornfield, which leads into about a 40 acre swamp. I am about 200 yards in the cornfield from the swamp. My wife was with me, which means we were sitting in my shadow hunter blind. I normally don't like to sit in open fields, but I have less options when my wife likes to go with and sleep, oops, I mean watch! He was with no does, the wind was coming from his backside. Very strange, they usually do the opposite while smelling for does, but during the rut you just never know. I think he was just cruising thru the area, as nobody had seen him up to this point. Or, he was just sneaky!
Here is the link

More pic's to come.

11-16-08Buck.jpg

Great looking buck... what kind of rifle and load were you shooting? Congratulations on a excellent buck..

MCee67

Looks like it was a very nice buck... hope to see your follow up pictures also.

It had to be because you were stealthy, but your wife will say it was because she was there to explain to you how to accomplish this task...

scriptman44
I am in St. Joseph county

cayuga
I was using my NULA, "blackpowder substitute"
275 gr. barnes xbp
short black mmp
cci primer

sabotloader
My wife was in a daze, I had to tap her four times on her leg to to tell her to plug her ears so I could shoot. I was getting a little worried because he covered about 20 more yards closer to us before she realized what I was telling her to do!
Like you said though, she said we only seen it because if she didn't go with, I would have been in the thick stuff in a different stand. She know's she is right, this time.

Nice Buck MCEE. Hooray for Michigan! If our DNR would manage for quality and not quantity imagine what we could have. Keep up the hunt and make the second one bigger!

Nice Buck MCEE. Hooray for Michigan! If our DNR would manage for quality and not quantity imagine what we could have. Keep up the hunt and make the second one bigger!

I agree, I would go as far as to a no buck season for a year or so just to get some bigger bucks out there. I know that will never happen though. I do wish they would do a doe first, or a buck of at least 4 points on one side only or etc. With as many deer we have here, and the auto insurance companies having a foot in the DNR's door, I doubt anything will ever change.

MCee67 said:
scriptman44
I am in St. Joseph county (Sturgis).

cayuga
I was using my NULA,"blackpowder substitute"
275 gr. barnes xbp
short black mmp
cci primer

sabotloader
My wife was in a daze, I had to tap her four times on her leg to to tell her to plug her ears so I could shoot. I was getting a little worried because he covered about 20 more yards closer to us before she realized what I was telling her to do!
Like you said though, she said we only seen it because if she didn't go with, I would have been in the thick stuff in a different stand. She know's she is right, this time.

Additionally, I wish we had to seal our deer like other states and I totally agree with the doe first validation. Why not lottery for a buck license? They make us lottery everything else. Unfortunately, all of this is very politically sensitive but I never thought they would ban baiting either and they have. Can you hunt your NULA during the MZ season? Would love to get me one as they seem awesome! Good luck over the rest of the season. Weather has been tough so far but obviously hasn't blocked you!
Darrell

Oh!
Great buck and story! I'm glad she went with ya!

CONGRATS!

Latest posts

Back