200gr Shockwave vs 250 gr Shockwave

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chick

Reaction score
I have only used the Hornady 250 gr SST for hunting, and had good results. I recently found some T/C Shockwave on sale. Some were 200 gr and some were 250 gr. As the Shockwave and the SST are the same bullet wit a different material tip, I bought all they had. Now, my question is, has anyone used the 200 gr bullet, and what kind of results did you have? I have always had complete pass through with the 250 gr. Will the 200 gr, perform as well?

The 200 gr are .40. They hold up well when shot at smoker speeds. The 250s depend on if they’re bonded or not. I believe the shockwaves are, but the SSTs are not.

For me the 200g Shockwave only works good in a 45 caliber rifle. They aren't very accurate in a 50, so i only use them in a 45 Omega. Did kill an antelope a few years ago with the 200g bullet, and a couple of deer. Antelope was over 300 yard.

The bonded shock waves have a blue tip and the regular shockwaves (sst’s) have a yellow tip. The only difference I have seen in the SST’s and shockwaves is the sabot. The red Hornady sabot has always been great and easy to load. The sabot on the shockwave has always been hard to load. Atleast in my guns.

The 200 gr are .40. They hold up well when shot at smoker speeds. The 250s depend on if they’re bonded or not. I believe the shockwaves are, but the SSTs are not.

HA! Probably are. I didn't look very close at them then, or when I got them home. I will be looking at them now! Thanks.

The 200's gave me great accuracy in my .50 Omega. Held together well on the deer I killed with it. Even got a headshot on a groundhog at the range when I was "unloading" the rifle after hunting season. I have no experience with this yet, but I hear they are fragile on close shots or heavy bone contact in smokeless applications.

I’ve taken many deer with the 200 SST.

They are very accurate out of a 45 and will get the job done. Expect them to fragment like most lead core bullets but still effective.

Well, yeah. I looked at the 200 gr Shockwave. I did not take them out, of the package and mic them, but it s visibly evident that they are not a 45 caliber bullet. They look like a 38 bullet, so they are probably a 40 cal bullet in a heavy sabot. I'm disappointed in that, but, I will try them.

I killed a 600 lb alligator with a 250gr. 1 shot.
Never used the 200gr. if they are accurate out of your gun I bet they just as good.

I, too, found the 200gr SSTs on sale at Walmart. I shoot them in a 50 cal T/C Impact using sabot that comes with them (Blue). Find them very accurate over 110gr. of T777 pellets and very effective on the two does I killed so far with them. 1 was DRT and the other went about 50 yds. with a high lung shot.

I use the 200 grain shockwaves in my encore with the 25acp breech plug small magnum rifle primers and 100 grains of blackhorn and am under 2.5” @ 250 yards and have killed many deer the furthest being just under 300 yards

I have used both for a number of years, they are both excellent bullets but I find them to work best for deer and hogs at over 1700 FPS since I shoot heavy loads of BH they work well for me to 200 yards.
I have heard some guns don't shoot well with the 50 / 40 sabot but all mine have, maybe they were using light loads.

Back