#209 primers and pressure

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrJonathanMosin

Reaction score
I didn't know exactly how to title this, because I don't know if I actually have a problem or not. If you can tell my my username, I'm a Mosin Nagant owner, so I've been shooting for a while, but recently new to muzzleloading. My stepdad was clearing out some stuff and gave me his CVA .50 cal Magbolt 150 rifle. It was missing a few things which I collected over time. When I got it, it had the #11 nipple installed. I decided I wanted to run pellets and was having problems with misfires with the nipple caps. Luckily the rifle came with the 209 breech plug, so Installed that and bought some Remington Kleanbore primers. I'm running 60 grains of Pyrodex 50/30. I've tried both Hornady 240 grain sabots and Thompson/Center Maxi-Hunter 275 grain hollow points. The problem (if it is a problem) comes after I fire the rifle. More often than not the primer is pretty much completely destroyed. The last one I fired I had problems getting out of the plug. The retaining spring on the plug was popped out of place, and the case of the primer was split. When it finally did come out, it fell apart. It's more or less done this the three times I've fired the rifle with the 209 primers. Is this normal? I haven't been able to find any info on this, and I'm hoping someoene here can shed some light. I'd like to not have some kind of failure which ends with hot gasses or something being blown in my face. Any help or info is appreciated.

I don't know that gun at all. I will say having the primer split, especially near every time isn't normal. If need be contact the company & see what they say. They may want you to send the gun in for evaluation.

I would say that you have something wrong especially if you are using Pyrodex and a low charge at that. It is possible that you gota bad lot of primers is there any way you could try a differnet primer to eliminated those as the problem? The other thing make sure when you seat the bullet that you are not crushing the pellets. I'm not sure about pyrodex pellets but it has been tested with T7 pellets and when crushed they have a much higher pressure curve than normal loosed powder.

I can grab another box of primers, crushed pellets is a possibility. I'm going to fire a couple of primers out of this set just by themselves and see how they behave.

Latest posts

Back