• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Modern Muzzleloader and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WANTED/ISO 209 primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scare

Reaction score
I"m looking for winchester triple 7 muzzleloading 209 primers, or cci muzzleloading 209 primers. Anybody got a couple packs you don't need anymore?

I deleted my original post. Too much room for a misunderstanding, which has already happened.

I stand by my original advice- take your primers to UPS, disclose what you are shipping, and ask them how to go about shipping it.

Last edited:
Someone is always willing to try skirting the rules. My thought is that when the truck or plane explodes, and they figure out that you were shipping primers improperly, you’re going to have a very bad day. It likely won’t matter whether the cause of the explosion even had anything to do with your primers… you’ll be screwed!
It’s not “skirting the rules”. You can legally ship ammunition or primed cases as long as they are shipped UPS or FedEx ground. They need to be labeled as ORM-D. You can’t do it through a UPS Store, that’s a private business and their rules don’t allow it. Primed cases and ammunition are not allowed by the USPS.
Now, that said, I can’t imagine anyone desperate enough for primers to make it worth going to that trouble to get them.

Last edited:
I deleted most of my original post. There’s too much room for confusion or a misunderstanding (which has already happened, several times a single post). Examples below.

Example 1: I had mentioned a UPS customer counter and a UPS hub. They’re both corporate owned, but are very different facilities. Both the UPS customer counter and the UPS hub were confused with “The UPS Store,” which is indeed a privately owned business.

Example 2: The ORM-D classification mentioned by another poster is obsolete, no longer effective as of 01/01/2021. ORM-D - Ground Service | UPS - United States

Example 3: I believe that primers (what the OP wants) and powder are classified differently than primed cases and loaded ammunition. That’s why we pay “HazMat” fees on the former, but not on the latter.

I’ll stand by my original advice: “Take them to your local UPS customer counter, disclose what you want to do, and ask if it is allowed.” You’ll likely find the words “hub” and “certified HazMat shipper“ in their response.

Be well, everyone! :lewis:

Edit- my apologies to Forum member “scare” for cluttering up their Classified ad with discussion. I should have sent my comments directly to them, via PM.

Last edited:
you could try some local gun shops . i got 3 lbs of powder and 2 boxes of primers yesterday from our small town family owned shop . neither was the brands you mentioned but i found almost nothing on the big name web sites and i avoided the hazard fee .

Been through this too many times. Primed cases and loaded ammo are shipped under “Limited quantity“ and just requires an account with pickup or directly taken to a UPS customer counter and a Limited quantity sticker on the package (limited quantity took the place of ORM-D.

primers and powder are in the same class and require the shipper to have paid to become a qualified Hazmat shipper through UPS or FedEx, classes are about $800 last time I checked. Going to the hub will do you no good, they will not play “qualified hazmat shipper” for you.

limited quantity label

3F07E9C2-91E0-4225-8B13-0DB289D3CF7D.png

I emailed Winchester this morning asking them when Triple Seven Primers and Sabot 20 gauge shells would be back on store shelves. Here is their answer "Like many manufacturers in the shooting sports industry, we are experiencing an extremely high demand for our products. We are working as hard as we can to produce an increased supply of quality ammunition to meet our customers’ needs. We appreciate your patience and like always, thank you for choosing Winchester. " Not what I wanted to hear as this pretty much translates to "Hurry Up And Wait, We have No Idea When You Will See Them!!" :confused:

Just went through my primers and found I have a box of those and the price was less than $5.oo.Don't know when I bought them,but they look just like the container in the add at Natchez.

I tried 3 weeks ago to send primers via UPS - would not happen unless you had a hazmat contract shipping to a hazmat address. With the new rules in place you will not see UPS shipping many things they might have in the past.

Back