209 Primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HHI6818

Reaction score
Stopped in LGS today and was surprised to see so many muzzleloader primers in stock. Price stinks
BCEDCB8B-944A-4266-A9A5-F95A183C6CDA.jpeg

I stopped at a local shop today and they had good supply of everything except BH209. They had "ML" primers on the shelf but Federal 209A's behind the counter. And a ton, I mean a ton of Firesticks...Someone on here mentioned the other day that Hogdon is siphoning off the BH for use in the Firestick...and based on the shelves that I saw and that ya'll are posting, I am thinking that is right. You'd think absolutely everyone owns a nitrofire now!

Yeah, that's pretty expensive.
On the other hand, how many 209 primers do you go through in a season, especially if you are a hunter?
I would say be glad you can find them.
Sadly I would say the days of inexpensive components-either smokeless or BP/synthetic/are probably over.

Are the muzzleloader specific primers hotter, cooler or the same as standard 209 primers? I use CCI 209M primers, but I'm down to my last 120 or so. Plenty for this season, but I'll need to restock at some point.

Are the muzzleloader specific primers hotter, cooler or the same as standard 209 primers? I use CCI 209M primers, but I'm down to my last 120 or so. Plenty for this season, but I'll need to restock at some point.

“Cooler.” 😎

I’ve heard differing opinions whether that refers to the intensity (“heat”) of the ignition, or the duration of the ignition… but at least one of the factors is supposed to be lesser, in the 209s designed for muzzleloading.

If I have my history correct, the impetus behind the development of MZ-specific 209s was to help combat the forming of the Triple Seven “crud ring.”

Well, that… and they could charge you more for “special” primers. 😆

I'd be shopping elsewhere if I saw those prices and I'd let the management know why. I bought Winchester 209 primers, not muzzleloader specific, for under $5 at the height of the big covid " I can't find any" meltdown. $20/tray is thievery. If I were stuck with those low powered primers I'd certainly do some shopping to find some that don't cost you your eyeballs. Damn.

Im not sure cooler is the right word but, they are supposed to be less powerful. A couple theories/reasons for that. Crud ring and bullet pushed up off of powder before ignition are common reasons for using them.

Here’s what Winchester says about T7 primers

Winchester Triple Seven Primers are specifically designed for Muzzleloading and are milder than typical 209 Shotshell Primers. Milder primers do not force the powder charge forward, helping to maintain consistent velocities and minimize formation of crud rings. These primers are rigorously tested for consistency and sensitivity at temperatures and conditions far beyond the range of normal usage. Winchester guarantees better sensitivity for more positive firing in all guns, consistency in size and quality and stability in extremes of temperatures and humidity. These primers are not designed to be used in shotshells,

I'd be shopping elsewhere if I saw those prices and I'd let the management know why. I bought Winchester 209 primers, not muzzleloader specific, for under $5 at the height of the big covid " I can't find any" meltdown. $20/tray is thievery. If I were stuck with those low powered primers I'd certainly do some shopping to find some that don't cost you your eyeballs. Damn.
yeah im not paying $20 for a 100

Tony,

Yours may be removed at some point too:

Dick's Sporting Goods will remove hunting departments from 440 more stores nationwide, continuing a program that began last year when the category was eliminated from 125 stores. The Pittsburgh-based sporting goods chain announced the news in its quarterly earnings news release Tuesday morning.Mar 10, 2020

If you needed them you'd buy them or you could go another 10 ft on your new fencepost

Back