243 for elk

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilsbury38

Reaction score
Ok guys this is just a question not something I plan to do. I live in Michigan and a friend of mine was telling me that some people in the western States use a 243 for elk hunting. I am having a hard time believing this and was just wondering if there was any truth to this.

oh yeah, a 243 with a 100gr bullet is fine for elk, but you certainly would prefer a 270 for those longer 250+ range shots.

It will work with a quality bullet and good shot placement, but it's below my minimum for elk.

its certainly not a caliber on every big game hunters list out west but it will get the job done with a well placed shot and quality bullet. I have a 243 cva scout i may use one year during rifle season.

Yeah it wouldn't be my first choice either. But then again if I ever get the chance to go out west and hunt elk I would prolly go with my bow.

That's the spirit. Most guys feel they'll only have one chance to come here, and bring big magnums.

W-a-a-a-y too light a bullet for elk. I'd borrow a bigger caliber berfore I'd ever risk a 243 on elk.

Yeah, I would use something heavier.
I have heard of some of the natives and trappers way up in Canada and Alaska who use 220 swifts, 22-250s, and 243s for their all-around gun. They shoot anything from fox to caribou. Of course, they probably don't use the spray-n-pray shooting technique like some people do down here. :)

When I hunted Red Stag (similar to elk) in Scotland years ago, the gamekeeper at one of the Estates showed me his gun, a Browning bolt action .243.

He told me he'd shot literally 100's of Red Stag over the years and almost every one was a one shot kill.

That goes to acurately placing your round at reasonable distances, on a relaxed target, as an expert shooter.

That being said, although it will, and can, do the job, the .243 is certainly not the optimal, or even reasonably accepted, cartridge for elk for the average shooter or the average Western US hunting conditions.

If you wanted to get extreme, I'm sure you could kill a 1200 lbs bull moose or a 1,000 lbs brown bear with a .22 rimfire, I just wouldn't want to be the idiot trying it! :evil:

I live in or near elk country. In the last 11 years while elk hunting I have carried my .338 Win, .300 Win short mag, or my .50 muzzleloader. In my over 25 years hunting elk I've killed 1 with a .270 Win, 1 with a .338 Win Mag, and 1 with a .300 Win Short Mag. That said if all I had available was a .243 or a .257 Robts, I'd load up and go elk hunting, knowing that I needed to be a little more careful with shot placement. I met a former Wyoming elk guide that told me of backing up many clients with his .243 and not loosing any elk.

Thanks for all the input from everyone. I am still surprised that people do indeed use them from time to time However I still have the most fun with my bow.

It wouldn't be my choice I would use a 270 on up but with that said my friends wife shot an elk with a 243WSSM and he said it dropped in its tracks' you need to make sure you use a proper big game bullet and don't shoot from to far away.

In southern lower Michigan we are shotgun/muzzleloader only so a lot of guys try to have one rifle to do it all, just in case they get to go hunt with a rifle. Probably the most common caliber for Michigan hunting is the 30/30. The guys that might go to other states & hunt other game (inc Elk) seem to be 30/06. 308 (my fav), & 270's. In my opinion they are 3 of the very best calibers out there.

I have to some what disagree with you Gregk, the 30/30 here in northern mi USED to be the most common Cal. 20-25 yrs ago that was what almost ev eryone I knew used for deer, today I honestly don't know 1 person still usein them. 243, 270, 30.06, 308 seem to be the most popular around this area, don't see shotguns to much, and mls are mainly used during ml season. I saw a study done by hunt club on another site awhile back where they kept track of every Cal used and distances deer traveled and the 25 calibers won followed by the 24 calibers they claim the 30 caliber almost seemed to be over kill for a deer, its kind of like ford and Chevy in my opinion its all about personal preference.lol personally I prefer my bow. Happy hunting....

I've talked about this quite a bit on other forums, but I don't think i've mentioned it here, but I have no memory.

Anyway, In 1954 when I was 12 I got a Winchester 94 in 30-30 for Christmas. My dad had been teaching me to still hunt for a couple of years with small game. He said when I unwrapped the 30-30 that I was ready to move up to deer. Needless to say I was grinning from ear to ear. I killed a few deer, and then two years later we started to go to Colorado for elk.

I never hunted with anybody but my dad. We both continued to just still hunt the timber, and were very successful in taking many deer and elk. Shots were never over 100yds. I used a 170gr Partition bullet in the 94. I never came close to losing an animal. Shots were always double lung shots. Always! It's the most fun way to hunt that I can do. I've never had an urge to do any other form of hunting. Not that I think it's better than other methods. I just enjoy it, and like the challenge.

My dad passed away in 83, and i've continued on hunting alone with no changes to gun, ot hunting style. The 30-30 has never let me down, but you have to respect it's limitations.

It's only the interest I got in muzzleloaders that drew me away from the 30-30. Otherwise i'd still be using it.

Back