250 SST

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ShawnT,

I don't know if you remember but there was another guy who had the same performance that you did; if memory serves me right he started with 90grs of T7 with the 250gr SST. He said he bumped up his charge to 110grs and wah-laaa, success :yeah: However, I think I'm gonna stick with my pure lead bad boys 8)

Whitesmoke

You have to be careful with a high shoulder shot on a deer regardless of the bullet choice. If the POI is too high and the deer is exhaling you get nothing.
There is a small area above the lungs that contains nothing. It is easy to be too high with the shot if you are sighted in high.

If you don't like the sst then try the Barnes 245 Spitfire.....awesome.

One thing is for sure....no two loads are the same, no two shooters are the same, no two distances are the same, no two shot angles are the same, no two animals are the same, no two ambient conditions are the same. All this affects how a bullet "performs" for lack of a better word. I have had 250gr SSTs work really very well with loads as light as 2 Triple Se7en pellet loads to 10ML-II 2300fps loads. Distances from 20yds to around 150yds. In my cases..I have always found them to be a tad fragile for my taste. IMO the VERY best shot for the 250gr SST/Shockwave is exact broadside OR slightly quartering away...put the crosshairs behind the shoulder and pull the trigger. This is a great lung/heart shot bullet.

WhiteSmoke,

I do remember that post. His results was what I had originally thought was my problem, just needed a bit more speed. Seems that a lot more shooters are having good to great luck with them than those that did not. Same goes for Centerfire too, As Big 6X6 said No two guns or critters are alike. I would bet that had my first round hit a rib then the results would have been quite different. I might have even thougt the SST was the greatest thing since sliced bread. :wink: :D I think that this Knight MK 95 mag elite will keep getting it's steady diet of the lead Knight 310's as long as I can get them. 8)

ShawnT

big6x6 said:
One thing is for sure....no two loads are the same, no two shooters are the same, no two distances are the same, no two shot angles are the same, no two animals are the same, no two ambient conditions are the same. All this affects how a bullet "performs" for lack of a better word. I have had 250gr SSTs work really very well with loads as light as 2 Triple Se7en pellet loads to 10ML-II 2300fps loads. Distances from 20yds to around 150yds. In my cases..I have always found them to be a tad fragile for my taste. IMO the VERY best shot for the 250gr SST/Shockwave is exact broadside OR slightly quartering away...put the crosshairs behind the shoulder and pull the trigger. This is a great lung/heart shot bullet.

YES!!!! I agree 8)

Latest posts

Back