Horndy sst junk?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stcspiderman

Reaction score
I am shooting cva accura Lr been using horndy sst I come to idea they are trash i had 4 deer get away from me lack of blood cant be expanding I shot a deer just above the shoulder dead center didnt fine and blood for 150 yds in backed out went track it next days 14 Hr later deer was still alive. what is a good bullet to use that fully expands gonna casues some major damage take deer out?

I am shooting cva accura Lr been using horndy sst I come to idea they are trash i had 4 deer get away from me lack of blood cant be expanding I shot a deer just above the shoulder dead center didnt fine and blood for 150 yds in backed out went track it next days 14 Hr later deer was still alive. what is a good bullet to use that fully expands gonna casues some major damage take deer out?
It has been stated here before that a high shot placement will not result in a blood trail right away, regardless of whether or not you have good bullet expansion.

What was the powder load? What color was the bullet tie?

i've killed dozens of deer using the excellent 250 grain Hornady SST bullet, mostly in the crush rib sabot. Most were hit in the heart lung area. Never lost one, many were bang flops.

A blood trail is not important to me. Most deer die within 20-30 yards. This year i killed two large bucks using the 250 grain SST bullet, one bang flopped the other went <10 yards. Both were hit in the heart-lung area. One bullet exited, the other did not.

What was the powder load? What color was the bullet tie?

i've killed dozens of deer using the excellent 250 grain Hornady SST bullet, mostly in the crush rib sabot. Most were hit in the heart lung area. Never lost one, many were bang flops.

A blood trail is not important to me. Most deer die within 20-30 yards. This year i killed two large bucks using the 250 grain SST bullet, one bang flopped the other went <10 yards. Both were hit in the heart-lung area. One bullet exited, the other did not.
150 grain

Even if they aren't expanding as much as some other bullets may, the deer will die with good shot placement. As mentioned, high shots can leave poor blood trails, and poor shot placement... even with a better bullet you might be out of luck also. Practice more or be much more precise with shot placement would be the first step. Maybe change bullets if it gives you more confidence. XTP's, Deep Curls, Lehigh CF, or Barnes all produce great results with good shot placement.

Shot placement is everything to me,, as a young man I hunted with a lot of heavy mags 300 win mag ,7stw and some others ,used to hunt with partitions and some of the other solids available to hand loaders. I've seen bullets do some crazy stuff,, I guess let me clarify that, I've seen bullets that were supposed to expand and really do a lot of internal damage sometimes not do that. As time went on I began to trade those super mag high velocity rifles in for lesser cartridges and lesser bullets, I personally began to shoot hollow point target bullets because the other hobby I had besides hunting was target shooting and I became so confident in a lot of the hollow point 6. 5 and 7 mm bullets that I was shooting I became heavily influenced by the accuracy rather than being drawn to the bullet performance side,, every center fire rifle that I've hunted with the last 10 years has been with a hollow point target bullet and with a confidence that if I need to shoot the animal in the throat or the temple or the upper shoulder or really any part of his body or hit the heart exactly I'm confident that I can do that, I've also disciplined myself when I'm hunting if I don't have the shot I want I let that animal walk,, I never just let one go into the boiler room and hope for the best. I'm personally not a blood trail guy,, I'm a dead deer guy, I know sometimes you don't get to the dead deer without the blood trail I understand that,, if it were me I don't know that I would give up on that bullet just yet,, I would keep practicing with it,, but if I did give up on it I would call Dennis at fury bullets and get me about a thousand of 250 grains start tips,,,

if I don't have the shot I want I let that animal walk,,

i've let numerous deer walk.

I’ve killed deer with round balls,

So have i. Round balls kill far better than energy figures indicate. A 176 grain .490 patched round ball fired from a .50 caliber muzzleloader at a muzzle velocity of 1,650 fps generates 530 foot pounds of energy at 50 yards. That ball exits deer shot in the heart lung area. Many bang flop.

45?
Not sure of distances or load?

I’m not a fan of light bullets.. your shoulder shot is a good example of lack of penetration.
I’m a soft lead, heavy conical guy as they blow holes thru deer, expanding and have the mass to keep penetrating.
Other good performers are soild copper - go heavy again for penetration.

Ron’s reduced velocity test is a great bullet head-to-head comparison.
F2C12441-70FE-41A1-8E84-42028D4AE1DE.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back