3 petal EZ load MMP's in Omega?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLC

Reaction score
How easy does the 3 petal MMP load in an Omega relative to standard Hornady or TC sabots?

How is the performance with SST's and XTP's using this sabot and 777?

I have a stainless, laminate Omega which I haven't shot in about a year because its such a pain to load. I didn't even take it out to hunt because the shotgun is just much so easier although much less accurate than some of the loads I've shot in the Omega. I'd like to give the Omega another try as it is very accurate. I've shot quite a few sub MOA groups at 100 with it in the past.

I've used standard Hornady and TC supplied sabots as well as MMP HPH 24's and Harvesters but have yet to try the newer three petal MMP. I do swab between shots and use a dedicated T handle rammer but loading is still a real chore.

I'm thinking of ordering some three petal MMP's to give the Omega another chance before I trade it off.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

no experience w/ those ez load sabots, but i have used the harvester crush ribs. w/ my .45 cal disc elite, the brown mmp sabots fit so tightly that i have destroyed one of the knight ramrods in the process of loading it. even cleaning between shots and lubing the sabot didnt help. but the crush ribs are a piece of cake to load. there really is a significant difference, i went from very unhappy with the rifle to very happy with it. accuracy is identical to what i was getting before w/ the mmp's.

if i were you, i'd definitely give those 3 petal sabots a try. typically a closer-fitting projectile gives better accuracy, but in my experience sabots can be pretty forgiving. i have fired standard black mmp sabots in my white rifles, which is a comparatively loose fit to knight rifles, and have seen equal to and better accuracy.

3-petal EZ sabots

GLC

Go for it. I have had to experiment with different "thinner" sabots and here is what I have found. MMP's 3-petal sabot is the thinnest sabot available for .45cal bullets in .50 caliber rifles. You will definately notice the difference.
BTW, my barrel measures 0.499" land to land at the muzzle with dial calipers. I am using HDY 250gr SSTs with the 3-patal sabot. It is a very snug but usable fit.
Also, heavier bullets generally have a longer bearing surface. You should expect a 300 grain bullet to be more difficult to load than a 250 grain bullet.
Good luck!

James

ps: If this doesn't make loading easy enough for you, ask me about Gonic sabots.

That's the way to go in the Omega.....easy loading and same great accuracy

Most Omegas bore Diam run from .499 to .501 so a E-Z load sabot will help in loading . I think with a .451 & .452 Bullet the 3 peld sabot will measure out at .501 so you may look at buying a spin jig loading tip also even with tight bores they make the loading proccess alot easyer.

GLC- PM me with your address. I have about 30 of the three petal ez load sabots that I will not use that I will send you to see if they work.

I ordered two bags of the EZ load sabots from MMP today. I searched the net and read all the forum posts I could find on the sabots. It seems that the EZ sabots were made specifically for the TC tight bore issues. Randy Wakeman's website had two good articles on the EZ sabots.

Thanks for the input and responses. I'll post my results when I try the new sabots.

GLC,
If that doesn't work, let me know how much you want for the Omega!!!! grin.
Marty

Latest posts

Back