.32 percussion blues

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunt12ga

Reaction score
Years back I bought a Traditions Deerhunter in .32 to match my .50 version. Long story short, I never could get a consistent group at 25y. It got thrown in a corner for years.  Fast forward to the present...  It has been bugging me, so I decided to give it another chance. I ordered some .310's (recommended by Traditions) and some .315 round balls. I have tried everything from 15gr 3f - 35gr.  I've tried 777.  I've tried spit patches, factory lubed, self lubed, both size balls, etc.  It sprays bullets everywhere. The best results I've had are with 20gr fffg, .315" balls, and Crisco lubed pillow ticking patches cut at the muzzle. Sometimes these go down so tightly that it's all I can do to seat them. Even these results aren't consistent enough to try squirrel hunting with though. Any ideas???  The barrel has a 1:48 twist so I have considered finding some .32 conicals to try. Would anyone on here have some to trade for some round balls?  I'm starting to think it should have stayed in the corner!

rw

I don't guess I've thought to look at them. I will take some pictures next time I decide to get the rifle out and torment myself lol

rw

I would be willing to bet that the bore is rough.  Try some JB bore paste on a tight fitting patch & jag or mop.  Scrub the bore, then clean. Also check the crown of the barrel for nicks or rough spots, and as mentioned, check the patches for burn out or tears.  With alittle work, I believe you can get this gun shooting good groups.

I have some .313 cast flat-nosed bullets for center-fire cartridges but they are 13 BHN. That may be too hard to catch the rifling if it's shallow. I don't know anything about the Encore or its barrels.

Most definitely study those patches; you may need to use something thicker with a .310" ball.  And the JB bore past suggestion is something to do right away.

If you have difficulty ramming the patched ball home, it might be that your patches are too thick....or ball to big for the patch, in any case depending on what the patches look like there is likely a patch to ball size issue.

my little .32 deer hunter is very accurate precut patches, .315 ball, 15-20 gr. fffg with deer tallow or mink oil as patch lube, also shoots good with plain spit for lube.. 35 yds into less then a inch.

First thing I would check is the tang screw, make sure thats snug. Thicker patch and dry swabbing between shots. That tiny bore gets gunked up fast.

Thanks for the replies-

I did JB it after my latest outing. I wondered myself if it were a bit rough. As far as cleaning between shots, I normally run a spit (slightly dampened) patch down the bore fooled by a dry patch. I then tried no swabbing between shots to see if that helped. I haven't tried just dry swabbing. 

I'm anxious to try it after the 100 strokes of JB's to see if that did anything. And I will be going out to the back yard to check for fired patches-  only I won't know which loads they came from at this point. 

I used to have a Crockett rifle that I sold for one reason or another.  I still kick myself for that one. Someday I may have the cash to dish out for a custom squirrel long rifle that looks and shoots like a dream. Until then, I will keep feeding powder through this one until I find its sweet spot I suppose.

Back