45 caliber deerhunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took the little 45 out yesterday morning. It's got a 1/66 twist barrel and I have been trying 440 & 445 balls along with different patches and powder charges. 3f black and Triple 7 3f.
I also worked on the blocky rear sight by taking a 1/8" round file and opened up the notch to a bit of a semi buckhorn.
It's still a work in progress but I'm getting a handle on finding the best aim point and sight picture.
I think the most accurate load so far, as of yesterday morning, is a 445 ball, 015 cotton patch, powered by a duplex load.
10 grains volume of 3f Swiss, 50 grains v Triple 7 3f.
The reason I do this is because I have unreliable ignition in my sidelocks using straight T7.
Pictured is my last two shots of the morning @ 50 yards.20240226_091305.jpg20240226_090936.jpg

I do the same loading procedure with my percussion guns, a little real black, maybe 10 grains, then my load of either Pyrodex or T7. I have noticed with this procedure I do not get the dreaded burnt powder buildup at the powder charge.

I do the same loading procedure with my percussion guns, a little real black, maybe 10 grains, then my load of either Pyrodex or T7. I have noticed with this procedure I do not get the dreaded burnt powder buildup at the powder charge.
It indeed seems to burn a lot cleaner.

Back