4-12x40 scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenhead3

Reaction score
I have a 4-12x40 VariX-II with AO that I thought about mounting on my new Master Hunter. I thought about this to save a few bucks from buying another scope. Has anyone put a 4-12 on a ML and if so, what did you think.

Another question. Would you buy a used VariX-II 2-7x33 in great condition or a new VariX-I 2-7x33? If I buy a scope it will be the 2-7 Leupold. Thanks!

I have a Cabelas Alaskan Guide Compact 3-12 on my Omega. Love the extra magnification on the bench and it's a light scope (that i had sitting in the safe). Have to be careful about eye relief with it and there is less field of view than lower power range scopes. That said, it was the critical factor in me taking a deer at 200ish yds last month. Cranked up to 12x and with a solid rest your targets look pretty big and you can see how steady you are. I sold 2 Leupolds Vx III's last year and replaced them with Bushnell Elites. I think the Leupys are amazing scopes, just feel the need for the Rainguard coating on Bushnell Elites. It really works and our camp group of 6 guys has a total of 13 Elites now with only 3 'others' so you can see where my vote goes.

sabotloader said:
greenhead3

VXII - Trumps a VXI - besides the VXII has a lifetime no questions asked warranty...

The VX-II makes sense that it is the better scope. What makes it different I do not know. If I am not mistaken the VX-I has the same lifetime guarantee. Correct???

greenhead3

the VX-I has the same lifetime guarantee. Correct???

I believe it does.... The way things are attached inside the scope is the difference... The VXII is a great scope and an old standby...

By the way I did just put a 4x12 on a new Omega that I just got - exactly for the same reason you suggested - it is what I had on hand... I would love to order a new Bushnell Elite 3200 with a ballistic reticule to put on it but I have not got the $250 to do it with...

Just went to the Leupold site... the Rifleman Scope
Covered by the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee.

Here is a big difference i did not know about on the Rifelman...
Friction dials are marked in ?-MOA increments for easy windage and elevation adjustments

1/2 minute clicks.... all good scope are at least 1/4 minute - and that VXII should have no clicks at all it just turns smoothly..

greenhead, the rifleman is the same scope as the old leupold vari-x II. scroll down to question 5 on this page:

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shoo ... estionFive

the old vari-x II was a darn fine scope. both the vxI and the rifleman are friction-adjustable dials. price is almost equal. I have a vxI, but not a rifleman. I suspect that the light transmission of each is similar. the VXII has better lens coatings than the other two, and it has click adjustments. the VXIII goes one step better in lens coatings.

a really good scope is a nice thing to behold. you can tell the difference in light transmission and clarity. I end up using a lot of the lower-end nikon and leupold scopes on my rifles because they are "good enough."

I replaced a 3 - 12 with a 4 - 12. I didn't need 12X for hunting but it makes a big difference at the range. I bought a 5 - 15 for a centerfire for just that reason.

I have a V-X II 4x12x50 on my Long Range Hunter. I like it fine, but I'm going with a Nikon Monarch 4x12x42 on my Disc Elite. I like the fast focus on the Nikon, and I think Nikon is as clear as a Leupold. With most of my Leupolds, the click adjustment is not close to the advertised adjustments, but they are clear.

Latest posts

Back