40 cal. muzzle loader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronco2

Reaction score
meet a guy at the range and he was shooting what he said was a .40 cal muzzle loader. anyone ever see one? i have saw a 32,36,45,50 and 54 but never a 40..

Great round ball caliber!! I have both a per-suction and a flinter, my son has one and so does my grandson. Don't know any manufacturer makin .40s now tho Dixie offered one back in the 60s. Yes. Al are custom barreled. Green Mountain still makes .40s and when offering their drop in barrels they too were available in .40.
TC

I believe I have run across more .40 calibers than .36 cal. Of course, that's because I'm looking for a .36 cal. and not a .40 cal.
The only .36 I found was the first project by a newbie ... and it looked like it. He still wanted $600 and I passed.

The 40 is a very popular caliber among the shooters in the nationals...a very easy on the body to shoot, especially if you are shooting in a big event...I have 4 of them and they are my favorites for shooting targets, except primitive shoots then I prefer my 62 Cal...I think Pedersoli made on also...But the general run of things that they are rebarreled or customs...Thanks for reading my thoughts...

YMHS
Hilljack

I can imagine how soft the recoil is on a .40. The Pedersoli I bought is a .45, and I can't believe how soft it is to shoot a PRB. Yet, it still has plenty of power for deer.

Half a century ago .40s were more numerous and considered a good deer caliber.  They're not so much around any more.  I have a nice late Lancaster flint rifle in .40 caliber.  It is a fine caliber, accurate, cheap to feed and, where legal, great for squirrels to deer.  Custom is about the only source nowadays.

I have 5 or 6 40's nice caliber, shot placement is key. Not much lead, not much powder!
Nit Wit

Latest posts

Back