44 Cal in a green sabot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My LHR Redemption shoots the best I’ve found with 76gr by weight BH209 with the Harvester White Lightning in the green crush rib sabot.

That rifle shoots everything pretty well, but nothing really fantastic. But with the White Lightning’s it does 3/4” at 100 yards.

And they are killers too!

E7C55095-B935-481F-A310-254694E82109.jpeg

You might want to try the crush rib green sabots. They shoot wonderfully from my Accura MR and Blackhorn.

If you're serious about getting .44 cal bullets to shoot you need to have both plain and crush ribs handy. This is an observation I have made and adjusted to when using my Optima pistol: warm weather shooting at the club means I really need the crush rib with the two bullets I shoot. When the temps dip into the 20's at the club things begin to get different, the gun seems to lose some zip and I figured out that when I notice it to switch back to the regular green sabot and I am right back on track. I do not have to change anything powder-wise but when it's cold, as in hunting, I need to have the addition snugness of the standard sabot to keep or offer more pressure on the charge. May not be the case with your gun but with mine it is a given.

If you're serious about getting .44 cal bullets to shoot you need to have both plain and crush ribs handy. This is an observation I have made and adjusted to when using my Optima pistol: warm weather shooting at the club means I really need the crush rib with the two bullets I shoot. When the temps dip into the 20's at the club things begin to get different, the gun seems to lose some zip and I figured out that when I notice it to switch back to the regular green sabot and I am right back on track. I do not have to change anything powder-wise but when it's cold, as in hunting, I need to have the addition snugness of the standard sabot to keep or offer more pressure on the charge. May not be the case with your gun but with mine it is a given.
That’s interesting. I found that the black crush rib .45 was just a tad too easy loading and I guessed that was my accuracy problem. That’s when I switched to the green crush rib.44’s and immediately noticed a tighter fit and tighter groups too. Both shooting 300 gr. bullets.

I cannot get 44 cal bullets to shoot in 28 twist 50 cal barrels,, I have a shelf full of 44 cal bullets many of them I bought when I first started shooting 28 twist muzzleloaders and blackhorn, I see many other people that have excellent accuracy or at least huntable accuracy out of 44 cal bullets and the green sabot, I have not tried other 44 Cal sabots. The best accuracy I had out of any of the rifles I've tried them in was the optima pistol and it would group on the inch and a half but not much better when I can get a 451-452 and a black harvester to shoot less than an inch and sometimes less than a half inch two in the same hole in one touching it is always help me just ignore that shelf of 44 cal bullets. I had a couple of barrels built to shoot 44 cal bullets smokeless one of the barrels I shoot 429 and 430 bullets in and it is excellent,, but that's not what the issue is ,the issue for me is trying to get 44 cals to group in 28 twist barrels. I just recently this week tried another series of 44 cal bullets in a 28 twist Brux the same results constant inch and a half to 2 in can't really get it to tighten up anymore than that. Am I the only one who struggles with getting 44 to shoot in a 50?

I have been using the green 44 Cal sabot in my white bison for 30 years now. I shoot the 44 cal Hornaday 300 grain XTP. Very accurate very reliable.

I have never had any decent results with 44 bullets and the green sabots
Both of my Whitelights shoot 1"groups at 100yds with the same bullets and sabots, I use 80grs (vol) of T7/FFF. Just shows you need to find out what works best in your gun

Im behind the curve somehow. I never shot anything but 44 and green sabots until the last few years. Never had any real complications doing so. But Im looking for hunting accuracy not same hole groups. By hunting I guess I am satisfied with 1 1/2 inches at 100.

You're saying .44 cal bullets. What weight? My Accura and my Hawken with 1:28 GM LRH both shoot 300 gr .429" XTPs in Harvester green CR sabot and 300 gr .451" XTPs in Harvester black CR sabot equally well. Much better than 240/250 gr bullets

I gave up,, even shooting the crush rib green and 44 cal bullets,, almost all the guns I tried them in would shoot an inch and a half I could never get the load to go ahead and tweak and just suck up and shoot a hole,, I have a lot of 44 Cal bullets sitting on my shelf that I've collected over the last seven or eight years ,still waiting on the right recipe I haven't given up,, I'm convinced that you need to shoot a hot load to get that green sabot to open,, I'm not against that but every shooting session that I shoot the 44 Cal in a 1 and 28 twist 50 cal barrel I'm usually shooting a 45 Cal rifle alongside of it that's putting bullets in the same hole,, and the 45 Cal happens to be shooting a 40cal in the light blue sabot,not bore riding,, quarter inch and less all day three shot groups I just can't get the 44 to do that for me,,, I think the answer for me and this is just me is to get a fast twist 50 cal barrel maybe 24 or 22 or even 20 twists I think it would handle those 250 275 and 300 grain 44 cal bullets much better but that's just my own conclusion. There are many different 44 cal bores in America,, I built two smokeless barrels a couple of years ago on some of those other 44 Cal bores because I'm just very interested in the bore ,a little more sectional density, than a 45 I think it's got potential to be just as accurate, I just have not had that success shooting them in a 1 and 28 twist 50 cal as a matter of fact I'm not even shooting any of my bullets anymore until I get a fast twist barrel,, I will not accept or hunt with or even do much target work with a muzzleloader barrel anymore that won't shoot a quarter inch or less. I have only shot 44 cals in different CVA Acura rifles I do have a 50 cal 1 and 28 twist brux I need to try them some. I am 44 Cal and green sabot aggravated!

The last three Acuras Mrs that I worked with would put a fury 250 grain star tip in the black harvester sabot into a quarter inch group, I tried many days to get those 44 cal bullets to shoot in those same guns and as I mentioned I could get an inch and a half a very consistent inch and a half sometimes two bullets would be almost touching but I couldn't get near the accuracy that I was getting out of the .452 fury star tip.

I shot everything from a 225 to 300 grain all the pistol bullets and cutting edge 44 cal bullets,, there are a lot of 429 430 bullets out there to choose from, another reason I'm very interested in the bore always bought a box of any of them I could find so I have a lot of bullets .

Gave my son an Accura 50. Shot superb with both MMPgreen /44.265 FTX and MMP ORG /.458 325 gr FTX . 90 vol of the stuff you can’t find.😁
Bh209 of course.

Back