45 cal muzzleloader bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertsj22

Reaction score
i look online and don't see much of a market for bullets for a 45 caliber muzzleloader. Whats everyone using with success on deer. I see powerbelt has some but id kinda like to stay away from those.

What twist? Faster than 1-28 or slower?

Fury Custom Bullets if you got faster than a 1-28 for sabots.
Upto 40cal 240gr if you got a 1-20.
45cal 250-275gr 45s sabotless if you got a 1-28 to 1-30. ( you will likely need a sizing die for jacketed sabotless)

A .401-.402cal 240gr Fury should shoot in a 1-22. If this is a CVA the bore might run a bit large so a .400 in a Harvester Light Blue sabot might be too loose.

If my math is right i would go .402 with the HLB sabot. That will give you around .456 loaded OD which is about right for .452 lands. A typical 45cal has .450-.451ish lands. You want the loaded sabot to be about .003-.004 larger than land size.

Try one of these in either 250gr or 240gr. Have him knurl them up a little. You will need to contact him for the 240gr knurl.
https://www.furycustombullets.com/shop-2/smokeless-muzzle-loader-bullets/401-ot/https://www.furycustombullets.com/shop-2/smokeless-muzzle-loader-bullets/40-star-tip-mz/

Last edited:
Dan at Bullshop will also custom size his 458 bullets to what you need. So you can get say a Gould 458 in pure lead sized to .454 or whatever. He has a older 405 or 415gr HP mold ive been dying to see someone try. IIRC 100 400ish grain bullets sized, lubed and shipped in pure lead is about $50.

I know for certain a 1-22 will stabilize a 460gr for sure. Ive shot them in my Pacnor 1-22. The 488gr shot too. 1300-1400fps with big lead will take down almost anything. I love it because its simple and you need so little powder to do it. No short starter needed. They load with thumb/finger pressure so thats one less thing you need to carry. All you need are some wads.

If you’re shooting Blackhorn, Parker Ballistic Extreme is a great bullet. Never underestimate good ol’ lead though. Plenty of deer have been whacked with pure lead, home cast, heavy lead bullets. 1:22 should shoot 300-400 grain bullets extremely well.

Dan at Bullshop will also custom size his 458 bullets to what you need. So you can get say a Gould 458 in pure lead sized to .454 or whatever. He has a older 405 or 415gr HP mold ive been dying to see someone try. IIRC 100 400ish grain bullets sized, lubed and shipped in pure lead is about $50.

I know for certain a 1-22 will stabilize a 460gr for sure. Ive shot them in my Pacnor 1-22. The 488gr shot too. 1300-1400fps with big lead will take down almost anything. I love it because its simple and you need so little powder to do it. No short starter needed. They load with thumb/finger pressure so thats one less thing you need to carry. All you need are some wads.
im so new to this game i was thinking something like a 200 grain bullet and most everyone here shoots way heavier

You didn't mention the twist of your barrel, but most are probably 1:28. My Bergara barrel for my Encore shoots 300 gr. Harvester Pt Scorpions very well. I use two files to knurl the bullets so they fit well, and a 1/8" .50 cal. wool wad under the bullet. They are relatively inexpensive and shoot to 1-1/4" at 100 yards over 115 gr. of 777. My friend shot his last deer with one with good results. If you're hunting close range you might want to try one of the hollowpoints they make. In my 1:20 barrel, I shoot heavier bullets. Saboted Fury bullets shot well for me as well.

You didn't mention the twist of your barrel, but most are probably 1:28. My Bergara barrel for my Encore shoots 300 gr. Harvester Pt Scorpions very well. I use two files to knurl the bullets so they fit well, and a 1/8" .50 cal. wool wad under the bullet. They are relatively inexpensive and shoot to 1-1/4" at 100 yards over 115 gr. of 777. My friend shot his last deer with one with good results. If you're hunting close range you might want to try one of the hollowpoints they make. In my 1:20 barrel, I shoot heavier bullets. Saboted Fury bullets shot well for me as well.
1-22 twist

It’s not on the cutting edge but my .45 Knight likes 110 grains of BH209 under a 200 grain shockwave with the blue sabot. It has killed deer out to 240 yds. It’s the slow twist so those heavy chunks of lead won’t work

i look online and don't see much of a market for bullets for a 45 caliber muzzleloader. Whats everyone using with success on deer. I see powerbelt has some but id kinda like to stay away from those.

I you are willing to shoot a sabot, these shoot extremely well and have a tremendous Terminal Ballistic effect. These bullets are built by Lehigh defense. I shoot them in MMP 4045 tan Sabot, with a 120 gr. V. Bh209.

These are Lehigh 40x195gr.

400x-195gr-CF.jpg

Lehigh also makes a couple of sabotless bullet for 45 cal ML bullets. A .458x260 and .458x240

This is a pic of the 260 getting ready to be pushed through the crown of the bore.

45-260-Sabotless.jpg

I am not much a big heavy lead - so this really work well for me. Shooting the sabotless you do need a concentric bore.

It’s not on the cutting edge but my .45 Knight likes 110 grains of BH209 under a 200 grain shockwave with the blue sabot. It has killed deer out to 240 yds. It’s the slow twist so those heavy chunks of lead won’t work
Sure it will. A 1-30 will handle at least a 400ish grain conical. All depends on overall length. One inch or less and you are fine. After that it may or may not.

I shoot a T/C Strike using 84.0 gr. by weight of BH 209 powder and a CCI 209 primer to propel a Harvester 300 grain PT gold bullet with their black crushed rib sabot using a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope. It is a solid 200-yard shooter and if I had a conveniently located range longer than 200 yards, I’d have a longer opinion.

Back