.45 cal rifle and pyrodex p load questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smj66

Reaction score
I have a .45 cal knight Mountaineer that l have a used t7 ffg for shooting. I have read several threads about pyrodex p being a great option for this caliber. I typically shoot 385 grain no excuses conicals or 350 grain lead conicals with 80 to 90 grains of t7 ffg. Has anyone been shooting heavier grain lead conicals with pyrodex p or t7 fffg and if so how many grains of powder are you using? Also what would be the maximum safe amount of powder in this gun with pyrodex p and t7 fffg? Thanks for any responses.

I use to shoot 90gr of P with a 465gr conicals with my 45 cal White ML’s. I would start off with 75 and work you way up to see what gives you the best accuracy.

I use a 488 gr. Bullshop conical in my White .451 Super 91 with 80gr. T 7 3fg.
I will never use pyrodex in a muzzleloader, too corrosive.
Don't know what the max load is in your Knight. Might check the owner manual.

The max load has nothing to do with the rifle strength. You will reach a point that accuracy just goes to hell long before you reach a max safe load. The barrel itself will easily handle 120gr of Pyrodex and a 460gr bullet but its probably gunna pattern like a shotgun and start leading your barrel.

I doubt l would ever go over 100 grains
The max load has nothing to do with the rifle strength. You will reach a point that accuracy just goes to hell long before you reach a max safe load. The barrel itself will easily handle 120gr of Pyrodex and a 460gr bullet but its probably gunna pattern like a shotgun and start leading your barrel.

I doubt l would use more than 90 or 100 grains of powder, l was just trying to cover my bases on safety. Since l bought it used it did not come with a owner manual. Agreed, l figure much over 100 grains l wouldn’t be able to hit the broad side of a barn standing inside.

If its a 45 1-20 you will probably reach max sooner than a 1-30 if shooting the lighter 45s. They dont need as much powder or twist to stabilize. In the same sense a 460gr will probably need a bit more powder to shoot as well in a 1-30.

Understand though, Triple7 is a fair amount hotter than Pyrodex. Around 15% hotter so reduce accordingly. BH209 is a little hotter still and when moving up to bullets over 400gr you need to be a bit more careful. Peak pressures can rise fast with really heavy bullets and BH209.

Last edited:
Gotcha. I’m not totally sure but l believe it is a 1:20” twist barrel, it was bought from knight as a barrel only. Maybe the serial number would tell if it is a 1:20” or 1:30”? i’ve never used bh209 and doubt l will because l’m a cheap skate, but l will keep that in mind if l ever do.

You can easily determine the twist rate if you have a freely turning range rod/ram rod.

This is a great discussion. I too am a cheap skate and have been burning Pyrodex because I bought a pound container when it was new on the market and had not used it all up. I was in a Dunham's a few weeks back and bought a pound Triple 7 on a coupon deal for less than $25. I was using 100 grains by volume of Pyrodex with Harvestor CR sabots and 180 Hornady XTP's.
As I convert to Triple 7 it sounds like I need to start with about 50 grains and work my way up.

Or does someone have a more exact starting load for these projectiles?

BTW my barrel twist rate is 1:28 on my two CVA's if that makes any difference.

Back to the original question posted by Smj66, accuracy falls off as you approach the maximum load listed in the owners manual of most rifles. As I work up a reload for a center fire rifle I watch the extra powder left in the barrel back off at least one grain of powder. The rifle usually shoots tighter groups and it is more cost efficient.

Latest posts

Back