45 fast twist U L and Maximus 240

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwm

Reaction score
Shot my deer with the fast twist ultralight and Maximus, the shot was only 65 yards quartering away. I put the bullet around the last rib and squeezed her off. Well it went in and out the far shoulder an d blew through the shoulder plate and out, deer only made about 40 yards. the load was 90 grains 777 fffg and 240 Maximus and light blue harvester. the gun shoots amazing with this , I would like to get a shot farther out and see but I would imagine the same results. lots of damage

Congrats on a quick kill, you’re prolly lovin that ultralite now.

Shot my deer with the fast twist ultralight and Maximus, the shot was only 65 yards quartering away. I put the bullet around the last rib and squeezed her off. Well it went in and out the far shoulder an d blew through the shoulder plate and out, deer only made about 40 yards. the load was 90 grains 777 fffg and 240 Maximus and light blue harvester. the gun shoots amazing with this , I would like to get a shot farther out and see but I would imagine the same results. lots of damage
:woohoo:This was exactly the report ive been hopeing to see !!!! Buck or doe and how big ??? I just knew it was gonna be a sweet bullet !!! Boy it didnt even take much powder did it !!! Excellant shot by the way !!! Congrats on everything !!!
Did you by chance chronograph that load ???

Last edited:
:woohoo:This was exactly the report ive been hopeing to see !!!! Buck or doe and how big ??? I just knew it was gonna be a sweet bullet !!! Boy it didnt even take much powder did it !!! Excellant shot by the way !!! Congrats on everything !!!
Big doe and yes I am loving this set up

Big doe and yes I am loving this set up
I can’t kill another buck till Saturday so I need meat and was really wanting to try the gun out , took a nice 8 point with the 52 early season, I didn’t get the for quite some time. Worth the wait

I don’t have a chronograph, I started with 110 went to 100 and 90 was where she shot best. Guy from knight told me to shoot 90 with that bullet. I just don’t listen well , thought 110 would be the place to start

I don’t have a chronograph, I started with 110 went to 100 and 90 was where she shot best. Guy from knight told me to shoot 90 with that bullet. I just don’t listen well , thought 110 would be the place to start
Dont feel bad . I would have done the same thing !!! Blackhorn wasnt any good ???

Dont feel bad . I would have done the same thing !!! Blackhorn wasnt any good ???
I just have had a few hang fires with black horn, but after reading on here I know my head space was probably the problem, I have the headspace thing good now and I may try again. It’s real hard to get powder in nj for some reason and me like a dummy gave 2 bottles away

I just have had a few hang fires with black horn, but after reading on here I know my head space was probably the problem, I have the headspace thing good now and I may try again. It’s real hard to get powder in nj for some reason and me like a dummy gave 2 bottles away
Oh damn !!!!! Well , thats a blessing to somebody !!!! Yea it would definately be worth another try.......eventually . Hey , tell us about that deer !!!

Oh damn !!!!! Well , thats a blessing to somebody !!!! Yea it would definately be worth another try.......eventually . Hey , tell us about that deer !!!
Not much to tell except extremely dead deer

I have been waiting with baited breath for more terminal performance info on the Maximus. I want to load the 210 grain .429 for the 445 SuperMag, and the 250 grain .429 for the 444 Marlin I recently acquired from a coworker. A rep at Cutting Edge Bullets suggested I use the Maximus instead of the 200 grain .429 HG Raptor for velocities over 2000 fps, which both the SuperMag and Marlin do. When I get the loads back and chrono them, I will post the results here.

If you could post postmortem pics, I would greatly appreciate it! Did you get a pass through with any of the petals or just the base?

Congrats and thanks for the posts!!!!!!

Please forgive me for being a clown
. Im just really excited about this news . Congrats !!!!

Congrads. :thumb:

We can't get BH here on Long Island either. I usually pick it up at Cabela's in Hamburg.

I have been waiting with baited breath for more terminal performance info on the Maximus. I want to load the 210 grain .429 for the 445 SuperMag, and the 250 grain .429 for the 444 Marlin I recently acquired from a coworker. A rep at Cutting Edge Bullets suggested I use the Maximus instead of the 200 grain .429 HG Raptor for velocities over 2000 fps, which both the SuperMag and Marlin do. When I get the loads back and chrono them, I will post the results here.

If you could post postmortem pics, I would greatly appreciate it! Did you get a pass through with any of the petals or just the base?

As soon as I skin it I will post some pictures,and it looks like a pass through once I get the hide off I will know for sure

Please forgive me for being a clown
. Im just really excited about this news . Congrats !!!!
No clown I was excited to try that bullet myself.the one thing that I don’t like is their loading jag, I bought 2 and bent them both. Minor issues

No clown I was excited to try that bullet myself.the one thing that I don’t like is their loading jag, I bought 2 and bent them both. Minor issues
Their jags bent ?? I know its not the end of the world but i hate that !!! I just dont get why these companies keep doing this to us ya know ?? I tbink hankins has one that will fit down to a .375 bullet that spins . You carried my dream combo out hunting , a ul with that bullet . Very cool !!!!

Their jags bent ?? I know its not the end of the world but i hate that !!! I just dont get why these companies keep doing this to us ya know ?? I tbink hankins has one that will fit down to a .375 bullet that spins . You carried my dream combo out hunting , a ul with that bullet . Very cool !!!!
The stem that goes into the hollow point bent, now it could be my fault because this gun loads very tight and getting that slug started is hard and requires a ton of pressure, I am going to use a spin jag and see if it deforms the bullet , I suspect it wont

Back