.451 White Rifle and Sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vabowhntr

Reaction score
Ok, before I get blasted for such blasphemy, I have a greenfield I am hunting over that can give me a 160 yard shot. I have a White Whitetail in .451 and wanted to try a sabot load to see what I could do at that range and to see if the conicals would still work better. I would like to have it set up to be +/- 3" out to 150. Has anyone tried sabots in a .451 White and if so, which ones worked well. I have tried a bag of .45cal T/C cheapshots @ 190gr and they would not load with a clean barrel. Hornady .357 pistol bullets in the blue sabots would load, but it took a lot of force.

i think that the twist of the white barrel will probably be too fast in a .451 for sabots. i have shot sabots successfully out of a .50 white, which has a 1-24" twist. the .451 white has a 1-20" twist. My .45 disc elite shoots very well w/ sabots, but it has a twist of 1-30".

Might still be better off with the conicals I guess. If I push them to 1350 fps, I should be able to get out to nearly 140 yards or so and be +/- 3" and still have nearly 1400 ft-lbs at that range.

Ya won't know fur sure unless you try them. White has some all lead sabot bullets and the ones from PR worked great in my White 504 Whitetail. Maybe some 40 cal sst's would do good.

After loading a couple, you may wish you hadn't. :wink: But I think the 200 grain SST mentioned might be worth a try. Be sure to swab after each shot and lick the sabots. :) I've loaded and shot White PowerStars with success in mine (350 grain though). Conicals spoil a guy.

Well, took it out and shot it with the 460 gr NE bullets and 70 gr pyro P. Shot a 3/4 inch group at 50 yards 1.5" right above the bull. Took it our on our muzzy opener and shot a doe at 3 yards. Guess the old heavy bullets will do the job and they sure load and shoot nice!

Congratulations on the doe.. 3 yards!! Why didn't you just club her and save the bullet!! :D :D :D

Why is it a hunt always happens that way. I elk hunted out west one year, many years ago now. And was told to be expect shots out to 300 yards. Bought a new Ruger M77 in 7mm mag. Spent hours on the range shooting all distances. And the elk walked out about 60 yards in front of me.

Congrats on the deer. Might want to cut some barrel off for next years "distance" shots. :wink:

Waell, you might try some of these

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... 72H14540BR

and some of these

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... 0000340060

in that White. I'll bet they'll shoot fine. I think that 1:20 twist rate was never the real problem with some of the other brands that had difficulty. Doesn't matter what the twist is if the barrel is crap otherwise. Some of the Knight 1:20s shoot just fine.

That is if you are still wanting to try for a flat shooting load. Never know when you might need a varmint rifle. :)

The .40/.50 Shockwaves do very well in my UltraMag so long as the scope bases are secured. :roll: :D

Thanks guys. I think I do want to work up a load after the season for some coyotes (can't use centerfires in our county) and maybe for deer next year. I have a bunch of the T/C cheapshots that I picked up for $1.88 per 20 last year. They are just too hard to load, but might work with the crush rib sabots. Thanks for the link UC.

I had waited all day to shoot a doe, I was waiting on a big buck :lol: . Saw 16 does and 2 bucks, finally decided to take the next mature doe with about 20 min of shooting light left. Had 3 in the small foodplot I was hunting over, but all were small. A few minutes later an old doe came out right under me. She seemed to smell something (me???) and stuck her nose in the air, looking the other way. The bullet entered at the base of the skull and severed the spine. Tried to dig the bullet out of the ground, but it went too deep. No tracking needed and better yet no meat damage! The other does (40-50 yards away) went back to feeding after the smoke cleared!

Latest posts

Back