Woodman and a Red Dot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LHR

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Well with Utah forcing us off magnifying scopes for muzzleloader season I decided to try this out and see. This is a Steiner MPS, designed to go on a pistol slide, it attaches to the same plate as an Aimpoint Acro.
I don't care for Iron sights much and feel this dot gives me a great blend of speed and precision.

20240308_113359.jpg

It also looks like it was made to fit my Patriot being the exact width of the receiver and just the right length too. The only problem is getting a mounting plate for the sight and to fit the Patriots hole spacing.
After a bunch of research I found out that several other firearms have the same .5" center to center spacing as the Patriot. Marlin 336 & 1895 as well as Henry big boy lever actions just to name a few.
So I went to looking for mount options for those rifles and found a Chinese aluminum plate that fits. I'm trying to get Mark interested in making a Patriot specific nitride steel plate for these, which I think would be an awesome option for any thick woods hunter!

Also, pictured is a 10 shot group at 50 yards just getting sighted in. Fury 275gr. Star tip bullet, 5 shot with 75gr. by weight of BH209, and 5 shot with 37gr. N120. Im trying to get a N120 load that matches the speed and accuracy of the BH209 load so I can practice cheaper than with BH.

So far it's looking very promising!

Well with Utah forcing us off magnifying scopes for muzzleloader season I decided to try this out and see. This is a Steiner MPS, designed to go on a pistol slide, it attaches to the same plate as an Aimpoint Acro.
I don't care for Iron sights much and feel this dot gives me a great blend of speed and precision.

View attachment 42245

It also looks like it was made to fit my Patriot being the exact width of the receiver and just the right length too. The only problem is getting a mounting plate for the sight and to fit the Patriots hole spacing.
After a bunch of research I found out that several other firearms have the same .5" center to center spacing as the Patriot. Marlin 336 & 1895 as well as Henry big boy lever actions just to name a few.
So I went to looking for mount options for those rifles and found a Chinese aluminum plate that fits. I'm trying to get Mark interested in making a Patriot specific nitride steel plate for these, which I think would be an awesome option for any thick woods hunter!

Also, pictured is a 10 shot group at 50 yards just getting sighted in. Fury 275gr. Star tip bullet, 5 shot with 75gr. by weight of BH209, and 5 shot with 37gr. N120. Im trying to get a N120 load that matches the speed and accuracy of the BH209 load so I can practice cheaper than with BH.

I like that. Looks streamlined. Steiner.....spendy?

View attachment 42245

Aint nuthin wrong with that..... except for being forced to only use something like that or nothing at all, of course.
It actually looks really good on your gun, & you can't go wrong with anything " Steiner ".

Aint nuthin wrong with that..... except for being forced to only use something like that or nothing at all, of course.
It actually looks really good on your gun, & you can't go wrong with anything " Steiner ".
It might be forced on us, but I think I'm taking a real liking to this setup anyway, it certainly carries better without a scope, feels like it was made for this !

View attachment 42245

Looks good! Sad about those restrictions though. Stupid regulations!

Pushed up to 39.5 gr N120 today, still shy of my goal of getting the same speed as 75gr. BH209 which was 1925 fps. I think around 40 or 40.5 gr. Should get me there.
Also tried out to 100 yards with the red dot.

20240309_100126.jpg

The 3.3 moa dot at 100 yards seemed to my eye to cover that 5" painted dot on the target. Still managed a 1 7/8" group of 5 shots.

I'm going to get some flat black paint and do an 8" bullseye 🎯 for next time out, I think if I can see my target better that group will improve some.

I'm curious what was the recoil like with that lightweight rifle and that light load of smokeless? 75 grains of Blackhorn has a little bit of punch I'm just starting to shoot n120.

100 yards again with the red dot, it was windy so I didn't stay long. First 5 shots on a clean barrel, wish I had looked to see if that flyer was the first shot or not? 1" bullseye for reference. I would say parallax will not be an issue, but could explain the flyer too, more testing to come.

20240414_091555.jpg

Latest posts

Back